What Are Your Plans after Dental School???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PanaRama

Whats up Doc?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:) This may be a silly question, but I know that there are many routes one can take once school ends. Are there any Dental Students out there who are concerned about finding a job BEFORE those huge student loans start rolling in? I would love to hear from you! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I'm gonna sell my soul to Aspen or Royal or some other slavedriver so I can unlearn everything I learned in four years to ensure I make some green. Then go on a couple months vacation and burn the plastic till it melts(Thank you ASDA and MBNA). After working my butt off for so long with no pay and debt up to my eyeballs. I'll need a break. I'm done with formal, instutionalized school. I'm too old and tired and I don't recognize the person who looks back at me in the mirror every morning. Dental school has sucked the youth out of me and I'm gonna enjoy the rest of my life.
I'm 30, its Saturday 400am and I'm studing for finals. WTF!
+pissed+

kerrydds06 said:
I'm gonna sell my soul to Aspen or Royal or some other slavedriver so I can unlearn everything I learned in four years to ensure I make some green. Then go on a couple months vacation and burn the plastic till it melts(Thank you ASDA and MBNA). After working my butt off for so long with no pay and debt up to my eyeballs. I'll need a break. I'm done with formal, instutionalized school. I'm too old and tired and I don't recognize the person who looks back at me in the mirror every morning. Dentistry has sucked the youth out of me and I'm gonna enjoy the rest of my life.
I'm 30, its Saturday 400am and I'm studing for finals. WTF!
+pissed+

you are 30 and you are already tired? you arent old and you cant be bitching about it this bad. heck i am 31 and still have 3 more years of school left.

cheer up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Perfect, i'm just a bit frustrated. My wife and son are on vacation in gotherburg and I'm stuck here in buffalo cramming(by the way it was snowing last night!) I love learning and practicing dentistry but i hate cramming for exams. i'm one of those who effortlessy excell in clinic but strugle to pass a pharm or micro exam. Which is why im a wee bit pissed right now. (also the reason the family took vacation- that and it is hard to study/cram with a 15month old who adores his dad want me to read to him because i'm reading. Right Gavin, you know what i'm talking about.

Any way, I'll still associate for a couple of years, take at least 30% and still bank over 100G, pay off this credit card (ASDA/MBNA has 5.9%APR which aint bad until you owe 20G then you feel it) then BUILD a group practice and take better care of myself so I can enjoy my kids growing up.

About what is the typical starting salary as an associate (female)? And, how much could one expect to make if working about 2-3 days a week?
And, what do you mean by taking at least 30%?

kerrydds06 said:
Any way, I'll still associate for a couple of years, take at least 30% and still bank over 100G, pay off this credit card (ASDA/MBNA has 5.9%APR which aint bad until you owe 20G then you feel it) then BUILD a group practice and take better care of myself so I can enjoy my kids growing up.

kerrydds06 said:
.... I love learning and practicing dentistry but i hate cramming for exams. i'm one of those who effortlessy excell in clinic but strugle to pass a pharm or micro exam. Which is why im a wee bit pissed right now... .
I feel exactly the same way! Cramming for exams sucks! "And this too shall pass" It'll be worthwhile in the end!

kerrydds06 said:
.... pay off this credit card (ASDA/MBNA has 5.9%APR which aint bad until you owe 20G then you feel it) .
Those plastics are the devil! Whoever came up with that idea needs to be shot!

PERFECT3435 said:
... heck i am 31 and still have 3 more years of school left.
cheer up.
I didn't know IU was that expensive! I would be in Indi now if they didn't start school in July! Your user id makes sense now! 34-35! join the 30s club!

Back to the OP: work my butt off to pay off the mountain of debts!

gatorchc27 said:
About what is the typical starting salary as an associate (female)? And, how much could one expect to make if working about 2-3 days a week?
And, what do you mean by taking at least 30%?

Gatorchick, I'm not even going to answer the female associate salary issue or why it is the way it is cause I DON'T want to start a WAR.

Typically expect 30% and up on your production or 40% and up on collections. The numbers don't always match up, it depends on the practice, and insurance companies.

So if you produced $6000 on a good day, you keep about $2000.
(sweet, old Martha's has a new $1000 RPD, but her check bounced and she croaked that night cause you used a foreign lab who uses nickel, even though you specified that the patient had an allergy, but Apu no read english and Martha wore her new denture to bed cause they felt so comfortable) :sleep:
So if the practice only collected $5000 that day you would keep about $2000.

You can do the rest of the math to suit your production. But that is what I meant by taking at least 30%.