What are YOUR reasons?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kushkeeee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious as to why people have chosen to pursue graduate study in psychology, specifically doctoral study.

I ask this question because today I found myself questioning my own reasons. I had been listening to some friends at work talk about moving to Florida and how nice it will be for them to lay out in the sun all day and how much fun they will have experiencing the night life. The instant I heard them say these things I thought to myself, "That's something I won't be doing much of if I get into a doctoral program." My fear of commitment hit full force as I thought, "I'll have to give a lot of things up for a good portion of time if I go through with this." Going to the bar for "happy hour" and coming home at night to watch my favorite show "ER" are just a few of the things I"ll probably have to give up. Thinking about these things kind of scared me.

And then I thought about my reasons for pursuing graduate school in the first place. My main reason is that I feel like it is the best way to make the most of my life here on earth at this particular time. I'm 25 years old, and I"m not ready for anything else. I'm not ready to start a family, I'm not ready to settle down with a guy, and I don't want anything to do with the business world. Moreover, I feel like the more I learn and expand my mind, the more I will get out of life and the more I can give back to life. As stressful and tedious as school can at times be, I have to admit that I like it. I like learning. What else would be a better use of my time right now?

So this is the main reason I've decided to pursue graduate study, and I'm wondering if this is a bad reason? Am I doing this for the wrong reasons? Will I regret it after a year or two? Can I really make such a huge committment? I'm scared!!!

What are your reasons? Please share!

Members don't see this ad.

I chose it because it truly interests me....I love the classes, and I love love love school. Probably why I'll end up being a professor some day.
Why did I chose graduate work though? Because I know what holding a dead end job is like, and it's not something I want to do again...plus I also know the job prospects for a BA degreee are limited. So graduate school seems like a natural choice for me.
I'm 26 and married, and I'm already pissed off because I wasted 5 years after high school doing nothing ...sure I learned about what I don't want to be ...but still think I wasted my time.
If you don't think it's for you remember this then before you jump in....
1) It costs a whole lot of money that you'd be wasting if you stopped after a year or two

Have you looked into masters programs? You'd only be committing to 2 years instead of 4-5. If you liked it then you could pursue the PhD

Well, I decided to go to grad. school when it was the only thing that I really enjoyed and could study (I have not attention span when it comes to things I'm not interested in). It is a long road, but it can also be a fun one. The grad. students I know work hard, but they go out to bars and catch their favorite tv shows. My labs are like family, we go out and have lab dinners and go to conferences together. And if their was any doubt that grad. students got out,I'll leave you with this quote I got from a psych grad student I know; " In college it's drinking, in grad. school it's coping." :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I majored in psychology in undergrad. I enjoyed the classes they were interesting. I needed a job though to earn some money so I went into med. tech through a training program and now working in a hospital! I too, want to get a graduate degree....not necessarily in psychology though. I have an interest in veterinary school but I need to finish prereqs and stuff....I'm 24 and I still am not sure what I want to in my life as far as career goes....but I have cousins who are much older returning back to school (law school and vet school) so at least I know I'm not alone! =)

I'm sure if u do enter a doctoral program u can find sometime to watch ER =) it only comes on once a week for an hr. right? I'm sure if u manage yer time right u can find time to enjoy a TV show every once in a while esp. if yer single.
Remember all work and no play....makes a person dull...nah. just kidding. PHD does require alot of work but ppl also have to have time to destress right?

[ PHD does require alot of work but ppl also have to have time to destress right?[/QUOTE]

Do they? I guess it depends on how you define "destressing".

Everything I've heard from former college professors has indicated graduate study in psychology is quite rigorous. More than anything else, however, they've emphasized how time consuming it is, particularly doctoral programs. My one professor went to the University of Oklahoma and was apart of the cognitive program. She told me she spent the majority of her time in the lab doing research, and that she had little time for actual studying outside of class. She said she hardly ever slept. There was simply not enough time. ANd she said students were simply expected to ace their classes. It was just a given. So if she barely had time to sleep, I doubt she had time to watch tv or go out to a bar once in awhile. I imagine any extra time she may have had was spent catching up on her z's.

I'm just scared because while becoming a doctor of psychology has been a huge goal of mine, and thus, is very important to me, there are other things I"d like to do in my life. I'd like to get married one day. I'd like to have kids. I'd like to be able to spend time with friends and family. Everything I've hard about doctoral programs is that you eat, sleep, and breath psychology. Will I have to sacrifice all these other important things in my life in order to accomplish my goal?

She told me she spent the majority of her time in the lab doing research, and that she had little time for actual studying outside of class. She said she hardly ever slept.

There are and always will be labs like this. Particularly if the research is basic-science oriented and requires very precise study protocol and very large n's. If you're not interested in living and breathing research, make sure you don't end up in lab like this.

I'm starting the second year of my PhD in clinical-developmental program which has a dual emphasis on research and clinical practice. My last three years have been extremely course heavy and research heavy. Yet I still have time for a relationship (my partner is a doctoral student, too), friends, family, reading good books, and taking long walks. And yes, I watch ER, too.....

Please take a breath and relax. In grad school you will learn stronger study skills, various short cuts to reading papers (e.g. read the abstract and the discussion), and how to discuss things off the top of your head. You will learn how to summarize all the research conducted on child depression within a week (or three days). You will get good grades if you show up for class and say something intelligent once in a while.... and your brain will sprout new connections that you didn't think were possible....

To be honest, I thought I was neurotic about school. Then I met the people in my MA class...

<<<Please take a breath and relax. In grad school you will learn stronger study skills, various short cuts to reading papers (e.g. read the abstract and the discussion), and how to discuss things off the top of your head. You will learn how to summarize all the research conducted on child depression within a week (or three days). You will get good grades if you show up for class and say something intelligent once in a while.... and your brain will sprout new connections that you didn't think were possible....>>>

I guess I didn't think of graduate school in terms of enhancing my skills (though it sounds silly to admit for what else would the purpose of graduate school be?) I guess I just thought I had to have all my skills in tact before getting to grad school. I thought if I didn't have everything in order to begin with, then the chances of succeeding would be greatly reduced.

Can I ask you a question? I've heard some people in other fields say that graduate school is simply more of the same kinds of things they had to do in undergrad; that grad school wasn't more difficult than undergrad, it was simply more of everything.... more studying, more papers, but not necessarily more difficult.

Would you agree or disagree with this statement as it relates to psych graduate study?

graduate school is simply more of the same kinds of things they had to do in undergrad; that grad school wasn't more difficult than undergrad, it was simply more of everything.... more studying, more papers, but not necessarily more difficult.

Would you agree or disagree with this statement as it relates to psych graduate study?

I think that the more deeper you delve into the academic experience, your perception of what is 'difficult' changes. I'd agree with the more of everything idea but as I said before you learn to handle more of everything very quickly. What I loved most about grad school in clinical was that finally I got to do therapy and assessment with real people with real needs instead of simply reading about it. Once you get to apply your theoretical knowledge to real situations and see your clients benefit, it's a totally new ball game.

You will still work hard but that will feel more natural and less anxiety provoking. It will simply become another paper or presentation to prepare. Also, your defence will be both ego-shattering and ego-building at the same time. There's something about the experience of standing up in front of experienced faculty and other students and saying 'this is what I did and why' and then fielding their questions.

You need to be able to set your priorities and you need a balanced life otherwise you will simply suck as a researcher and clinician.

What other questions do you have?

You need to be able to set your priorities and you need a balanced life otherwise you will simply suck as a researcher and clinician.

What other questions do you have?[/QUOTE]

I have lots of questions. How did you perform on the GRE's? Any advice for those of us studying for them? Also, what has been the most challenging part of grad school for you so far? How tough was it for you to get accepted to schools?

I'm full of questions so any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Did you meet your "partner" in grad school, or were you seeing this person before you went to grad school?

How did you perform on the GRE's?

I honestly don't remember. I guess they were high average. It's not what is going to get you in.

Any advice for those of us studying for them?

Study hard and do lots of problems. I had these practice computer disks from Kaplan that I did for practice. I think my actual scores were higher than what these predicted. I think math was my strongest and verbal weakest.

Also, what has been the most challenging part of grad school for you so far?

The summer of my second year. Doing a four day a week practicum with 10 hour days and completing my masters and preparing for my defence at the same time and going to change schools for my PhD. I still survived in one piece

How tough was it for you to get accepted to schools?

For my master's I applied to ~12 schools, got into 5 or 6, out of which I seriously considered 3. For my PhD, I applied to one school only and got it easily.

Did you meet your "partner" in grad school, or were you seeing this person before you went to grad school?

Been together 5 years, I consider him to be my blessing . The fact that he's doing his doctorate means that he understands what I'm going through and can be way more supportive than someone who works 9 to 5pm. :love:

so did you meet him in grad school, or before?

I just wanted to second Lazure's assertion that it is NOT your GRE scores that will get you in to grad school. Sure, you can't get away with doing BADLY, but getting 750's is absolutely not going to get you into Grad School if you don't have research experience, which is MUCH more important. To use psychological terms, GRE's are a necessary, but not sufficient factor in the success or failure of your applications.