What are your research interests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaraL124

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious. A lot of people here seem to be getting interviews at the same places. I'm just curious as to what all of you are interested in studying when you get where you're going??

I'm interested in psychological aspects of sexuality, sexual function, and dysfunction. I'm also interested in how that relates to sexual victimization, date-rape, sexual aggression, and gender roles in terms of sexual negotiation within relationships. HIV/STD-risk and unwanted pregnancy risk is a component too in teen/young adult sexual behavior and decision making.

What about you?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Sara:

I am interested in several things, including schizophrenia and the developmental course of psychosis. I am also interested in smoking/nicotine. This sounds completely different, but there is actually a strong relationship between nicotine and schizophrenia and other disorders such as schizotypal personality disorder. Smoking influences symptoms and many behavioral mechanisms. I applied to programs with mentors that are going in the direction of studying nicotine use/addiction with regard to psychopathology. Thanks for asking!

wow, this was a really good thread idea...I'm interested in childhood peer relations, particularly aggression and rejection. At the moment, I'm particularly interested in seeing how these issues play out on the internet, and whether internet use predicts aggression patterns.

Members don't see this ad :)
PupDogGirl said:
wow, this was a really good thread idea...I'm interested in childhood peer relations, particularly aggression and rejection. At the moment, I'm particularly interested in seeing how these issues play out on the internet, and whether internet use predicts aggression patterns.

Wow, both your interests and Psychapp's are really fascinating. I especially think internet research will prove to be important in the next 10-20 years. Thanks for responding.

Sara

I am interested in medical psychology / health psychology therapeutic intervention in the chroinically ill and the effects that the illness has on their family and loved ones. I also am intersted in Neuropsych. Most importantly ultimately I may want to get my JD and work as an advocate / lobbiest for psychology. I think that mental health in general is in need of better insurance coverage and reimbursement. I am quite passionate about bridging the gaps between the physician / pyschologist relationship. I know that I am kind of all over the place but I am sure I will focus in on a particular area as my schooling progresses.

I was kind of hoping more people would have replied to this thread!

SaraL124 said:
I was kind of hoping more people would have replied to this thread!

Sorry Sara! I have been in application hell -- with only 4 interview invites! I have had a hard time tearing myself away from compulsively checking email and voicemail messages! But, now I think I am ready to think about things other than applications!

In terms of research interests, I have two major areas that I am interested in. First, I am interested in school and community violence and how that relates to development and academic achievement. As part of this, I am also interested in identity development and academic achievement. But, I just started work on a preventive intervention for children who have experienced domestic violence and that is very interesting to me. Second, I am interested in PTSD. I was teaching in NY on Sept 11th and it was an fascinating experience on many different levels, but my interest in PTSD definitely stems from this.

Thanks for starting this thread, it is a great idea!

I'm interested in how psychiatric disorders (mainly depression & anxiety) develop--cognitive risk factors, personality traits, life events, genetics, etc. Right now I'm working in a lab studying the development of alcoholism, so any time I can tie my substance abuse research history (my honors thesis also dealt in alcohol use), into my future research direction, that can't hurt either. :D