What are your thoughts for taking a semester off to study DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tissy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've decided to take one class next semester and study for the DAT's. Do you think thats to long to study. I just want to do really well because I feel a month or two isn't long enough. Please let me know your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

You can study for an entire semester and still take classes if you are aboslutely digilant about studying for your test. I took 15 credits and studied for the DAT. I pulled a 21 on the test and a 3.8 that semester. So it can be done.

It just comes down to knowing that you'll need to study for the DAT 2-3 hours a day and still keep current in your classes. Taking an entire semester off, isn't necessary. But if it's something you think needs to be done. Just keep in mind that you will be behind when you come back and just make sure you are up to date with your preqs. :luck:

beannaithe said:
You can study for an entire semester and still take classes if you are aboslutely digilant about studying for your test. I took 15 credits and studied for the DAT. I pulled a 21 on the test and a 3.8 that semester. So it can be done.

It just comes down to knowing that you'll need to study for the DAT 2-3 hours a day and still keep current in your classes. Taking an entire semester off, isn't necessary. But if it's something you think needs to be done. Just keep in mind that you will be behind when you come back and just make sure you are up to date with your preqs. :luck:

beanneaithe is right, it's all about time management.

Tissy, I saw your post while scanning through the forum and thought I'd give my two cents on the matter. It was really hard for me to study for the MCAT last year and take a 18hour workload during the semester. I found it it tough because those 18hours I took were heavy science related. The DAT is a totally doable test, nothing like the MCAt. The DAT is straightforward. I think you could theoretically study 2-3 hours a night on thet dat stuff like the other poster mentioned, and still do 20+ on the real thing. Instead of taking the semester off, try knocking out some of your easy common curriculum requirements during that semester, make it light.

Also, I don't know if dental school admissions will ask, but they might ask you why there is a gap in your collegiate studies. They might think that you could not handle both classes and studying at the same time, something commonly found in dental school itself. Just my two cents. If you have to have to do it, then alright by all means. You could also try and schedule your dat exam for one of the long holiday periods during the semester. That way you can study at night everyday during the semester, and then have a long break to hit the books hard, and finally take the exam.

Wish you the best,
IndDent

Thanks for your input!! I'm in the military and found out I have to leave out of state for training for 3 weeks in April so I have to take the semester off anyway. So I guess now it's not by choice...sucks for me. Anyways, now at least I have an excuse for my gap. I've finsihed all my prereqs for dental school but not my additional science classes like biochem. I hope this gap doesn't look too bad on me.

IndDent said:
Tissy, I saw your post while scanning through the forum and thought I'd give my two cents on the matter. It was really hard for me to study for the MCAT last year and take a 18hour workload during the semester. I found it it tough because those 18hours I took were heavy science related. The DAT is a totally doable test, nothing like the MCAt. The DAT is straightforward. I think you could theoretically study 2-3 hours a night on thet dat stuff like the other poster mentioned, and still do 20+ on the real thing. Instead of taking the semester off, try knocking out some of your easy common curriculum requirements during that semester, make it light.

Also, I don't know if dental school admissions will ask, but they might ask you why there is a gap in your collegiate studies. They might think that you could not handle both classes and studying at the same time, something commonly found in dental school itself. Just my two cents. If you have to have to do it, then alright by all means. You could also try and schedule your dat exam for one of the long holiday periods during the semester. That way you can study at night everyday during the semester, and then have a long break to hit the books hard, and finally take the exam.

Wish you the best,
IndDent