What are your thoughts on living in a co-ed house in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sumtingwong

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on living with 4-5 students in co-ed house during medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't hook up with your roommates.

Reactions: 25 users
Do you know the people? I actually met a few people in undergrad that lived co-ed just man/girl and they were completely fine, but they were also friends for a brief period before hand so maybe that made a difference.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I haven't done this, but this is my intended living arrangement for next year. Honestly, at this age, I can't imagine why it's a problem unless it becomes anything other than a simple friendship/roommate type of relationship.

Reactions: 1 user
A lot of people do it. Short of any romantic drama, it shouldn't be any different than any other group living arrangement. Some people simply aren't cut out for having housemates, which is only something you can decide.

People actually bother to gender segregate roomies?!?
My college had coed dorms with coed bathrooms. You could even have a coed roommate by my senior year. We managed not to die. You should branch out a bit.

sounds like fun.

Do hook up with your roommates.
You don't want this in medical school. "hook-up" drama is relatively minor and easy to brush off during your undergraduate career. It is a lot different when you are on a campus of a hundred or so students (as opposed to thousands) who are all trying to make it through medical school; you don't need that added stress or drama. Stick with people outside your med school class whenever you feel the need for a hook-up.

Do you know the people? I actually met a few people in undergrad that lived co-ed just man/girl and they were completely fine, but they were also friends for a brief period before hand so maybe that made a difference.

Men with girls? That's illegal.

Or do you mean men with women? :prof:

May seem like a petty and meaningless distinction to you, @Frostbite, or a careless slip of the keyboard, but it isn't to the professional women you will be working alongside. It's demeaning and insulting and paints you as a sexist jerk. Please try to become aware.

Edited for grammar.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You don't want this in medical school. "hook-up" drama is relatively minor and easy to brush off during your undergraduate career. It is a lot different when you are on a campus of a hundred or so students (as opposed to thousands) who are all trying to make it through medical school; you don't need that added stress or drama. Stick with people outside your med school class whenever you feel the need for a hook-up.

It's true. Also, despite the mathematical odds, somehow that person you hooked up with M1 year who still kind of thinks you're a dick will end up on the same surgery, medicine, and peds services as you. Which always makes for a fun working environment...

A) LOL love the username.

B) Assuming you're a guy - why on EARTH would you want to live with a woman? You're (probably) going to get married and be living with one the majority of your life. The time is running out when you can live with the bros and have a good, relaxed, drama-free time.

Girls won't:
- want to play drunken mario kart with you in your free time
- shoot things with a pellet gun
- prank each other
- give you a standing ovation when your one-night-stand does the walk of shame
- appreciate your crude jokes and sense of humor, etc...

Unless you find an absolute badass of a girl, who is really just "one of the guys" I suggest playing it safe and finding some cool guys to live with.

And before anyone starts calling me a sexist pig, I think the same philosophy applies to women vice versa.

Reactions: 3 users
Girls won't:
That is simply untrue! I would DEMOLISH you at drunken Mario kart. :D

- prank each other
- be OK with leaving dirty
lol those are probably true. :p

Reactions: 1 users
if reproductive was your toughest subject in anatomy... go for it

That is simply untrue! I would DEMOLISH you at drunken Mario kart. :D

lol those are probably true. :p
I prefer Smashed Smash (aka drunken SSB). Every time you kill or get killed, it's a drink. Which evens the field, as you can catch the really good people one handed trying to drink after a recent KO! N64 version only, tho, Wii versions are lame.

And it has been a lifelong frustration of mine that pranking is not appreciated, but simply makes people mad. I have all the good ideas and no outlet!!

But seriously, guys, are you still caught up in the girls/boys are icky stage of life? Roommates are roommates, gender is irrelevant. None of them will do the dishes and all will at some point inflict their sex noises on you, that's just life.

Reactions: 2 users

B) Assuming you're a guy - why on EARTH would you want to live with a woman? You're (probably) going to get married and be living with one the majority of your life. The time is running out when you can live with the bros and have a good, relaxed, drama-free time.

Girls won't:
- prank each other

Unless you find an absolute badass of a girl, who is really just "one of the guys" I suggest playing it safe and finding some cool guys to live with.

And before anyone starts calling me a sexist pig, I think the same philosophy applies to women vice versa.
This man speaks TRUTH

Drunken mario party and mario kart is so fun!

Out of those 4,5 people, there is bound to be some person/people you hate.

This man speaks TRUTH

Drunken mario party and mario kart is so fun!
I will play you in Mario Kart (meh) if that gives me the opportunity to destroy you in Smashed Smash.
But seriously, dudes, what's with the assumption that girls don't play N64 (or other games, for that matter)?

And good luck when you find that your roommates clipping-her-toenails-on-the-kitchen-table-while-you-are-eating habit more than outweighs her possessing-of-a-vagina allure.

People actually bother to gender segregate roomies?!?
My college had coed dorms with coed bathrooms. You could even have a coed roommate by my senior year. We managed not to die. You should branch out a bit.

Did we go to the same school? Lol I don't see why people make a big deal out of coed living arrangements. It's nbd

Did we go to the same school? Lol I don't see why people make a big deal out of coed living arrangements. It's nbd
Right?!
I get far more weirded out when I run into segregated bathrooms. Why the hell should I wait 10min to use the women's restroom when there is nobody in the men's room? We could all wait 5min instead, makes a lot more sense to me.

Right?!
I get far more weirded out when I run into segregated bathrooms. Why the hell should I wait 10min to use the women's restroom when there is nobody in the men's room? We could all wait 5min instead, makes a lot more sense to me.

Because men would have to wait 5 mins instead of not at all! I disapprove of this because I don't want to wait - you gotta go when you gotta go

So much this. It is illogical how much toilet paper women use. IT DEFIES LOGIC.
It's even more illogical that guys are just openly cool with the fact that there will be at least one drop of urine left to be smeared inside their clothes when they are done.

It's even more illogical that guys are just openly cool with the fact that there will be at least one drop of urine left to be smeared inside their clothes when they are done.
BRTky.jpg

Girls won't:
- prank each other

I am a girl, and will do 4 of the 5 things you listed!

Girls won't:
- prank each other

You must meet all the wrong girls then.

Reactions: 3 users
4-5 nerds living in a house together? I'm sure all will be fine.

Yep... Until they learn the trick that will forever change their lives and prevent this spillage 100% of the time.

And for the record, it involves 0% toilet paper.

You must meet all the wrong girls then.

Apparently so!

So much this. It is illogical how much toilet paper women use. IT DEFIES LOGIC.

They wipe after they pee and also they menstruate

Last edited:
Yep... Until they learn the trick that will forever change their lives and prevent this spillage 100% of the time.

And for the record, it involves 0% toilet paper.

Apparently so!
Oh man, now I really wanna know.
Nosrs - after reading the not one, but TWO 'pee on my scrubs' threads without seeing a good solution proposed, I am now very curious.
Sadly, it probably does not work for your less-externally-equipped friends, so we will continue chewing through TP (hey, at least we use less than old people?)

Meh, boxers are plenty absorbent.

But yeah, I think the main drawback to an opposite sex roommate is that you will have to have a level of attention to hygeine that you wouldn't bother with otherwise. You'll find yourself wiping surfaces and picking up things and spraying febrize and using silverware. If you see roaches in the house, you'll be expected to kill them outright, instead of strapping toothpicks to their backs and making thm re-enact a scene from gladiator.

Right?!

Agreed. It's way more efficient just to just have both bathrooms available. Shoot if it's just a 1 stall public bathroom I will use the guys if the girls is taken. IDGAF when I have to pee!

Agreed. It's way more efficient just to just have both bathrooms available. Shoot if it's just a 1 stall public bathroom I will use the guys if the girls is taken. IDGAF when I have to pee!
Though it is nice to have the guys' room vacant for cases of emergency. There have been times when I just go for it, non-single-stall be damned!

Meh, boxers are plenty absorbent.

But yeah, I think the main drawback to an opposite sex roommate is that you will have to have a level of attention to hygeine that you wouldn't bother with otherwise. You'll find yourself wiping surfaces and picking up things and spraying febrize and using silverware. If you see roaches in the house, you'll be expected to kill them outright, instead of strapping toothpicks to their backs and making thm re-enact a scene from gladiator.
You guys have a lot of presuppositions...I've met plenty of women AND men who are the biggest slobs on the planet, as well as many of both gender who are neat freaks. Myself, I'm bimodal...if I'm not in cleaning mode, I let everything go. Once a week (or a month, whatever) I go into clean mode and then every surface is freaking spotless and you'd better not mess it up for at least a few hours.

I always kill cockroaches, though...I'd be OK with the toothpick mode as long as I am not expected to touch them and it makes them to clumsy to get into my room.

I will play you in Mario Kart (meh) if that gives me the opportunity to destroy you in Smashed Smash.
But seriously, dudes, what's with the assumption that girls don't play N64 (or other games, for that matter)?

And good luck when you find that your roommates clipping-her-toenails-on-the-kitchen-table-while-you-are-eating habit more than outweighs her possessing-of-a-vagina allure.
You will kill me in smash, I suck at it. Girls generally don't play video games, doesn't mean you won't find one every now and then that does.

You will kill me in smash, I suck at it. Girls generally don't play video games, doesn't mean you won't find one every now and then that does.
Close to 50% of gamers are women. Try again

Close to 50% of gamers are women. Try again
That is way false. I play online video games, used to play Halo 2/3 and Modern Warfare 2 competitively in MLG and let me tell you, girls are rare and they are not good at first person shooters at least. Now sure you can find one here and there that plays and is good but they are few and far between.

That is way false. I play online video games, used to play Halo 2/3 and Modern Warfare 2 competitively in MLG and let me tell you, girls are rare and they are not good at first person shooters at least. Now sure you can find one here and there that plays and is good but they are few and far between.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/08/tech/gaming-gadgets/female-gamers/

You are incorrect. Personally I'm quite good at FPS. There is no reason why a woman can't be good at it, it just takes time and effort. You don't need a penis to use a controller. There is a skewed perception among male gamers that girl gamers don't exist, especially with online FPS because we usually turn our mics off as not to have to deal with the onslaught of harassment that takes place.

Reactions: 2 users
http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/08/tech/gaming-gadgets/female-gamers/

You are incorrect. Personally I'm quite good at FPS. There is no reason why a woman can't be good at it, it just takes time and effort. You don't need a penis to use a controller. There is a skewed perception among male gamers that girl gamers don't exist, especially with online FPS because we usually turn our mics off as not to have to deal with the onslaught of harassment that takes place.
Word. I am always a guy if I play any sort of game with chat or online components, because otherwise you get a lot of messages soliciting various activities which can't be performed over the internet.
To be honest, though, I far prefer to play face to face (split screen ftw!) and I think xbox live is a ripoff, so I refuse to join. My mother and I will destroy you in most FPS, though.