What are your thoughts on the X-Tip intraosseous anesthesia delivery system?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mauricio45

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I have trouble with achieving profound anesthesia on a hot mandibular molar with irreversible pulpitis. I was looking at the X-Tip system from Dentsply. Anyone have experience with it? Do they work well and is it worth the price? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

x-tip. I use it once a year.
Recommend refining your mandibular block skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes I have trouble with achieving profound anesthesia on a hot mandibular molar with irreversible pulpitis. I was looking at the X-Tip system from Dentsply. Anyone have experience with it? Do they work well and is it worth the price? Thanks.

Intra osseous injections definitely come in handy for hot teeth. As an Endo resident, I see a ton of hot mandibular molars. There are times when IAN/buccal infiltrations/PDL and even intrapulpal injections won't achieve profound anesthesia. At that point, I go to the intra osseous. The Xtip is okay in my opinion, but removing the sleeve that stays in the bone is a major challenge sometimes and requires a lot of force which can scare the patient. I prefer the stabident product which only includes a perforator and the short needle. After you make the perforation with the slow speed, you have to line up the short needle to the exact angle the perforator when in at and it will slip right in the hole in the cortical bone. Back pressure is what you are looking for. It's a great sign that the IO is going to work for you. Lidocaine and carbocaine are acceptable to use. If using epi, warn the patient about tachycardia.

I personally believe you should do intra-osseous on every hot molar or you shouldn't touch it. You will cause a lot of unnecessary patient discomfort/pain if you don't use it. Block technique has literally nothing to do with it unless you are just completely missing the block.

The sleeve can be a little tough to remove but as long as you're careful you should be okay. The stabident doesn't have that problem but if you have to go below attached gingiva to place it, it can be very difficult to find the perforation. You also can't give a supplemental intra-osseous if the case is running longer than ideal at a later time like you can with the sleeve still in place, which is an issue because you are often using carbocaine instead of lido.

PDL's are decent as a substitute but they will not work as well as intra-osseous and the patient will have more discomfort due to transient PDL damage.

Trying to access these teeth that are not profoundly numb, then doing painful injections like intra-pulpals is not doing a service to your patient. Go straight to intra-osseous after your blocks before causing unnecessary pain, your patients will thank you.

Ohio State did a bunch of studies on local anesthesia, so why don't we just cite them instead?