What are your work hours like as a Pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iZodliquify

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Retail, Hospital, and Clinical Pharmacy. Possibly industry. Etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Clinical 12-2230; every 3rd or 4th weekend

retail 9-9 store

rotating schedule every 2 weeks, SUN-SAT scheduling so I always have one weekend day and one weekday off per week

work every other weekend (only downside to my job)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
how much time can you take off each year as a pharmacist? say you want to take a month off for vacation each summer is that possible?

how much time can you take off each year as a pharmacist? say you want to take a month off for vacation each summer is that possible?

Not starting off. From what I've been told by most pharmacists is 2 weeks vacation after a year or so is pretty standard, that goes up to 3+ after a few years with some places capping at 3. Hospitals pay lower but *tend* to have better benefits as far as vacation goes (but this varies by institution). Some pharmacists work 12-13 hour shifts resulting in them working 2-3 days on some weeks with rotating weekends. Where I used to work the pharmacists had 80 hours every two weeks so they have normal 40 hr a week pay with one week having them work 2 weekdays, Fri/Sat/Sun and then the next week only working 2 weekdays basically giving them 5 days off (this would be my dream schedule). If they wanted to take an extended vacation they could leave on the week they worked 5 days and then only take a few days vacation the next week basically giving them near 2 weeks off with only filing for about 1 weeks vacation. You can sometimes work things out or pull out extra hours to make up for unpaid vacation after you reach your allowed days.

Clinical/staff, rotating 8 hours shifts, every other weekend. Get about a month of vacation per year but have trouble scheduling that much time off.

Why does setting matter? Every setting with has various hours that covers pretty much every possible scenarios...

In my office 9-10 hours per day Monday to Friday, on my laptop for a few hours most Saturday's and Sunday's. I always feel like I am supposed to be working and it makes it difficult to enjoy my time off. The great thing about retail and non-management jobs was walking out and being totally free until my next shift.

Amb care. Most days 8 to 4 but sometimes I will flex 7 to 3 or 10 to 6. Monday through friday. We are closed on weekends and all holidays

Psychiatric hospital LTC:
Pharmacist 1: comes in a 7:30am, out by 3:30pm.
Phramacist 2: in at 11:00am, out by 7:00pm
And others in-between. Work on every 3rd weekend.

Industry:
Hours vary. Can work from home on some days if needed or allowed, depending on function. Some come in at 7am and out at 3:30-4pm (1hr lunch). Others come in at 9am. Depends on personal preference and manager. There's some flexibility in setting hours day-by-day as long as they are somewhat consistent every week. Most leave by 5pm, almost all leave by 6pm. I'm usually one of the last, if not last to leave, actually...

Supermarket Retail:
9am to 9pm on weekdays. 1 pharmacist per shift. Work every other weekend 9-6 and 9-4. Split hours 40/40 between two pharmacists, so 3 days off every week.

All 3 had pretty decent hours and lifestyle, to support what @Momus said earlier.

Inpatient clinical: 0600-1630, occasional floating to 1130-2200 maybe 2-3 times every 2-3 weeks (these days set in a row).

In my office 9-10 hours per day Monday to Friday, on my laptop for a few hours most Saturday's and Sunday's. I always feel like I am supposed to be working and it makes it difficult to enjoy my time off. The great thing about retail and non-management jobs was walking out and being totally free until my next shift.

where's your QoL?

Most pharmacists I know in retail work 3.5 days a week (3 days one week, 4 the next) with very long shifts. Some like to split shifts and work more days per week.

Some retail night shifts work 7-on 7-off which sounds attractive to some people but I'm told that it is gets old really quick.

Members don't see this ad :)
Retail. Will start overnight shift and see what will happen.

Most pharmacists I know in retail work 3.5 days a week (3 days one week, 4 the next) with very long shifts. Some like to split shifts and work more days per week.
I do the 3 days one week 4 the next. Did the 8 hour split shifts before and hated it. Working 10 days out of 14 instead of 7 days sucked.

You're in a hospital/clinical setting?

I work retail in a 24 hour store 8a-8p, 3-4 days per week, every 3rd weekend (the 4 day week)

I heard that WAGS makes you split shifts

industry-medical affairs: 8ish (7:45am-8:30am) to 5ish (4:15pm-5:30pm). As long as you have a solid team and a strong relationship with your manager, you're golden. Just get your work done.

where's your quality of life? lol

I heard that WAGS makes you split shifts
I'm with CVS and our area does require splits now in regular 8a-9p stores, they do allow 1 long day if you want and you don't have to split weekends obviously, but they left the 24 hour stores up to us since we do such high volume, don't mess with what is working, etc. I prefer only working 3-4 days per week so I typically don't split unless my partner or I need part of a day off. From what I understand WAGS always splits and typically works 8 hour shifts

industry-medical affairs: 8ish (7:45am-8:30am) to 5ish (4:15pm-5:30pm). As long as you have a solid team and a strong relationship with your manager, you're golden. Just get your work done.

telecommute option? my old wyeth/pfizer colleagues flexed one floating day/week and worked remotely as a dept policy/practice.

I'm with CVS and our area does require splits now in regular 8a-9p stores, they do allow 1 long day if you want and you don't have to split weekends obviously, but they left the 24 hour stores up to us since we do such high volume, don't mess with what is working, etc. I prefer only working 3-4 days per week so I typically don't split unless my partner or I need part of a day off. From what I understand WAGS always splits and typically works 8 hour shifts

That doesn't seem reasonable because without a third pharmacist, people will end up having to work 11 of 14 days ("allowing" 1 long day plus Saturday and Sunday). It is also pointless to split shift with no overlap (someone will end up working 6 or fewer hours)

10.5 hour shifts? So do you work 3-4 days a week?

10 hr shifts is usually a 4 day work week. That 0.5 hours is credited towards a lunch so you get paid for 40 hours.

If you're in a hospital setting, are you more likely to work 5 days a week? Compared to retail(apart from Walgreens) where you can work 3-4 days a week?

If you're in a hospital setting, are you more likely to work 5 days a week? Compared to retail(apart from Walgreens) where you can work 3-4 days a week?

Depends. My full time job is 4-10s, my per diem is 5-8s, 3-12s exist but I believe is more rare.

At cvs the 8a-9p stores without overlap split shifts as either 8a-2p, 8a-3p, or even 8a-2:30p in my area.

I do six 13-hour shifts in a pay period and split the other days out of compassion for other pharmacists. I would love to do 7 weekday shifts only (like I did before) but that meant two bad floaters instead of only one bad floater like it is now

We do 50 hours a week. One weekday off and every other weekend.

Clinical: M-F, 8hr day shifts

Retail, overnight. 7 on 7 off. (Sunday through Monday) 5 10's and 2 11's. Salaried at 80hrs

9-530 usually, but i staff one week a month depending, which can be 7-330 or 11-730 or 2-1030, not too bad