What Biochem text book do you use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UserNameNeeded

SOS
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanna burn my Lehninger Biochem book...but I'm not sure if I should. :p

Members don't see this ad.

I used the Lippincott review book (by Champe & Harvey... I think). Referred to Lehninger if I needed more detail on something. This review book is supposedly especially good if you're a visual learner (which I'm not) because it has so many diagrams/flow charts. I found it to be a quick & easy read. The later chapters on (for example) obesity, diabetes & fasting are concise and are a good way of reinforcing the fundamental concepts outlined in the first half of the book.

Lippincott all the way (+ BRS and Master Medicine:Biochemistry) for good questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep Lippencott is a great book!

Whatever you do don't get Meisenberg and Simmons

Ditto. Lippincotts is a good overview, but if you need more detail try: Lehninger, Devlin, or Stryer. These seem to be the big three for biochem.

UserNameNeeded said:
I wanna burn my Lehninger Biochem book...but I'm not sure if I should. :p
Don't burn it!!!! Sell it on half.com! U can make at least $60 off of it, as long as u didn't highlight it all up and things.

Has anyone tried Harper's Illustrated Biochemistry (Murray)? It is the recommended textbook for all of our courses on biochem, molecular biology etc.

I think Lippincott is very good for medical student while Harper is very big .

remember that you're studying Medicine Not Chemistry ...you wanna to get the information from Bio. to help you in you medical way .. ;)

BURN Lehninger. It was such a waste of money. I can't believe that any prof actually uses it!

If you want to learn REAL biochem (I mean biochem for big boys) then use Voet & Voet. This couple's book kicks serious @ss. But don't take my word for it...(remember the catch phrase from Reading Rainbow? :) )

Does anyone utterly and passionately HATE that class as much as I do??

I have my midterm on friday (last one). I havent been studying for it because all the rest of my classes end this term (5 other exams) and I can still make up for this one later. But man, it SUCKS. :mad:

biochem is hard....and taught amazingly fast too

the first lesson of biochem covers more of the subject matter than the entire summer I spent in reading the text

i hate it. it puts me to :sleep:

my professor actually recommends lehninger wholeheartedly. i haven't looked at voet & voet yet; how is it better than lehninger? i heard that it's too detailed for med students; it's more for biochem majors.

Lippincott was all we needed. Excellent pics, charts, etc. and decent questions at end of each chapter.