What book should I use for the general GRE in 2017?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smashing2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My test is next month and ive been using other means of studying through online tests and questions, and lessons from my tutor, but i do want to use the book now with practice tests and all of that.
There were two books from Kaplan i found: The 2018 version and the 2017 version. Which version should i get and why?
Also is ets better than kaplan?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My test is next month and ive been using other means of studying through online tests and questions, and lessons from my tutor, but i do want to use the book now with practice tests and all of that.
There were two books from Kaplan i found: The 2018 version and the 2017 version. Which version should i get and why?
Also is ets better than kaplan?

Thanks
If you're looking for practice tests, get the ETS books. Since they made the test, their practice questions are going to be the most representative of what you'll see on the GRE.

The Official Guide to the GRE
Official GRE Verbal Reasoning Practice Questions, Volume 1
Official GRE Quantitative Reasoning Practice Questions, Volume 1

There are minor differences between the second and third editions of the Official Guide; the information is slightly outdated in the second edition (e.g., Analytical Writing is now scored with a human scorer and e-rater, rather than two human readers), and the second edition does not have a Math Review section. The practice volume for the Quantitative Reasoning section, however, does, so it won't matter which edition you purchase if you get all three books.

Two of the practice tests advertised in the Official Guide are the Powerprep exams that you can get on ETS's website for free. The other two exams are in the book and are paper-and-pencil. ETS has also made two extra practice exams available for purchase at $40 USD each, should you have the time for them.

Kaplan has mixed reviews. Aside from the ETS books, which are pretty much required reading, I'd suggest asking around for what people found worked for them before purchasing. Personally, I'm using Magoosh materials.

Good luck!