what books do we FP interns want/need in our coats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ramonaquimby

I'm a PGY3?! WHAT?!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm starting to browse...any recommendations? (my school didn't have an FM department)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
ramonaquimby said:
i'm starting to browse...any recommendations? (my school didn't have an FM department)

What about a PDA with multiple software programs on it? I'm sure Kent has some great ideas for that.

iatrosB said:
What about a PDA with multiple software programs on it? I'm sure Kent has some great ideas for that.

kent has a good website. i forget exactly. i think its medicalpda.net or something like that which give some good info.

bafootchi said:
kent has a good website....i think its medicalpda.net or something like that which give some good info.

Yep...http://www.medicalpda.net (a.k.a., the "Ectopic Brain"). Thanks for the plug! ;)

Most of the ol' standbys (e.g., Tarascon (http://www.tarascon.com), Sanford Guide (http://www.sanfordguide.com), Washington Manual, Harriet Lane, 5-Minute Clinical Consult, etc. (http://www.skyscape.com) are available in PDA format. Epocrates Essentials (http://www.epocrates.com) is pretty comprehensive as well, and is the reference I use the most. If you can get a drug rep to sponsor your copy, it's free!

The Washington Manual Internship Survival Guide is worth checking out.

Plus, there are tons of useful iSilo files on the Medical iSilo Depot (http://www.meistermed.com).

I'm dreaming of a service where someone loads all the best and most essential medical software on your PDA (specialty and training-level specific), gets it all tweeked and ready to go, and sends it back to you, working right out of the box.

That's why I adore my Mac. Worked like a charm straight out of the box, never a problem.

I was hoping since Palm interfaces so well with Mac that it would be the same wonderful experience...not so...

I get so frustrated with all this stuff, and then just end up going back to books because my stupid epocrates won't update and my browser crashes every time I use it.

I just want stuff to work. I don't have time for technology to not work! Otherwise, it's back to the books and pads of paper for me...

sophiejane said:
I'm dreaming of a service where someone loads all the best and most essential medical software on your PDA (specialty and training-level specific), gets it all tweeked and ready to go, and sends it back to you, working right out of the box.

The AAFP has offered this service to members for years.

sophiejane said:

That's why I adore my Mac. Worked like a charm straight out of the box, never a problem.

I was hoping since Palm interfaces so well with Mac that it would be the same wonderful experience...not so...

I get so frustrated with all this stuff, and then just end up going back to books because my stupid epocrates won't update and my browser crashes every time I use it.

I just want stuff to work. I don't have time for technology to not work! Otherwise, it's back to the books and pads of paper for me...

i agree with you sophie. but i think the palm stuff works better with our macs than the pocket pc ones. i have a kjam pocketpc and had to buy pocketmac pc software to be able to use it for my mac, and anyway its a headache when its not as smooth as you expect the transistion. i think i read somewhere that a year or so, apple is thinking of a pdacombo/phone ipod/. you can just imagine the design and look of it and the popularity.. but who knows when and who know then how soon it would come, and if medical software would be compatible and all that. apple actually had the first PDA ever, remember? (Newton)..

sophiejane said:

:eek: i agree with you sophie. but i think the palm stuff works better with our macs than the pocket pc ones. i have a kjam pocketpc and had to buy pocketmac pc software to be able to use it for my mac, and anyway its a headache when its not as smooth as you expect the transistion. i think i read somewhere that a year or so, apple is thinking of a pdacombo/phone ipod/. you can just imagine the design and look of it and the popularity.. but who knows when and who know then how soon it would come, and if medical software would be compatible and all that. apple actually had the first PDA ever, remember? (Newton)..

I am a big fan of Epocrates Essential. Loads of stuff bundled into one application. No more switching b/t Rx, ID, 5 minute clinical consult, and calculation programs. Even if you have to pay for it $200+ is a small price to pay for convenience and easy access. Although I nave noticed some screen glitches in the GFR calculator but it does not affect functionality. It might be my Treo 700 and not the software.

In my pockets,
Pocket Medicine by Sabatine
Wash U Internship Survival Guide

On my PDA,
Harriett Lane
5 min Clinical Consult, Pedi Consult, Emergency Medicine
Epocrates
Sanford
ABG Pro from fppda.com
MedCalc from fppda.com
MedRules from fppda.com
Shots 2006 from immunizationed.org
OB Wheel from fppda.com
Current Clinical Strategies Family Medicine (for admit orders)

In my book bag,
Obstetric, Gynecology, and Infertility (the red book)

My program sent us a recommended book list, especially applicable to first year:

FAMILY MED/IM
Family Medicine (Current Clinical Strategies) by Chan OR CCS Medicine

Pocket Medicine (mass gen hospital handbook) -- I used this during my 3rd yr IM rotation -- this was totally awesome. My favorite one actually. I just wish the binder was a little larger so that I can put some more of my own pages in there

PEDS
Harriet Lane
Pediatric Telephone Advise

OB/GYN
Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Infertility (Gordon)

Procedures for Primary Care Physicians (Pfenninger)
Color Atlas and Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology
Clinical Dermatology: A color guide to diagnosis and therapy

KentW said:
Epocrates Essentials (http://www.epocrates.com) is pretty comprehensive as well, and is the reference I use the most. If you can get a drug rep to sponsor your copy, it's free!

And HOW does one go about doing that?! I may even be willing to kiss major patooty for it to get it free.

That and UpToDate (although many institutions provide that -- I hope mine does -- I oughta ask!). UpToDate is wonderful but soo darn expensive!

bumping up an oldie but goodie ;)