What books do you need for your Peds office?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

fourthyearmed

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm almost done with residency yet I don't really have many Peds books because I spent all my book money on things like Up To Date subscriptions, a new stethoscope, and study books for Step 3 and Boards. I always just use the internet to look things up anyway. What books are an absolute must for the general pediatrician? Do I need a new Nelson's? Zitellis? Smith's? Something with Peds Derm?????
 
I hardly ever use anything other than the internet, Nelson and Zitelli. The only other thing that I have used is a pediatric procedure book- but I do a lot of procedures. I bought a few books when I got done and never use them.
 
It all depends on what you can get on the computer. I would have Zitelli and some peds derm atlas, a current Sandord, the Harriet Lane. I sold my Nelsons, although if I were in private practice I would want it just in case I got sued (it would be hard to explain that you don't own the definitive pediatic textbook). You need a copy of the Red Book, too.

Ed