What books should I use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

llessac15

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, please don't get upset, but I am a pre-med student who just got accepted. I was wondering which books will be the most beneficial in:
1) gross anatomy
2) biochemistry
3) histology (cell biology)
4) physiology

Members don't see this ad.

1) Netter's Atlas
2) Lippincott's + Board Review Series (grid)
3) Wheater's
4) Berne & Levy + BRS (grid)

1) I like Moore's better than Netter.
2) Mark's
3) Wheater's does rock, but cross reference it
4) costanzo

I would also suggest adam.com cd-roms. They have really made a difference in physiology

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Netter's with BRS
2) Lippincott's
3) Junquiera
4) There's a Lange book that's supposed to be good, but I've never used it myself. My school published its own set of notes for physiology.

1. Moore's has great pictures, tables, and descriptions if you need them
2. Harper's biochem is good if you have no background in biochem already
3. Gartner and Hiatt's histology is very detailed and has great pictures and terrific summary sentences about each section -- if you read those, you are set
4. Johnson's Essential Medical Physiology is good if you are a math person and like to see how things are related in the body mathematically and Guyton and Hall is good for everybody else

I can see you are getting very conflicting versions of what is the best book to use. What I've found is that the book that I like and use the most is not the same as the book that my classmate beside me uses in many cases, but we both do fine. I would suggest going to the book store and looking through the medical texts at the school you plan to attend and get a feel for what books YOU like and would attend to the way you like to study. You will be spending lots of time (and money) on these texts, so it's important that you find out if certain books are required and will be referenced in your classes, or if you are free to purchase any text you like. The Board Review Series books seem to be very good and many are written by the same authors that write the huge texts. There are also "baby" versions of lots of the huge texts (Moore's Anatomy has a "baby" version that is very very good and contains all you need to know without spending tons of money on the bigger version, for instance).

Congratulations, and good luck. I hope I helped you more than I confused you.

Anatomy: Moore's for info, Netter's for pictures
Biochem: Lippencott
Histo: Wheater's
Physio: Guyton's Medical Physiology (in depth, I liked it much better that Berne+Levy) or Costanzo (for review)