What can I be doing right now to improve my chances at matching at a specific program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DerpyNeuroMD

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Basically what the title says. There's a program on the east coast I'd like like to do my residency at. My scores and research are good or better than what's shown on residencyexplorer. It's in a city my wife and I really want to live and their primary hospital is right where we want to be. (We're in the Midwest right now, for the record.)

Is there anything I can be doing right now to start to strengthen my relationship with the program before submitting ERAS this year? For example, could I get in touch with their program director, network somehow, or ask my school's neuro department to talk to theirs? I don't know. Aways are out of the question right now. Any ideas?

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Without aways or conferences etc going on right now thats tough. In general, putting all your hopes into one program's basket is a recipe for disappointment. The odds aren't in your favor in regards to being able to match at a specific program. Not to mention, there are endless stories of people who matched at places they didn't think were their number 1 and as things change and you learn more about what you want in a program they change their mind.
 
Agree with the above - targeting a single program is a recipe for disaster. Targeting a metro area or set of metros within a region is often doable, but the match is way too much of a crapshoot to give you any confidence at matching at a single program unless you are the rock star applicant to end all rock star applicants.