What can I do in my year off before switching to Path?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Siamese

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A little about me- I am finishing an internship in psych and wanting to switch to path. Unfortunately, I decided I wanted to switch to path kind of late and missed last year's Match opportunity. So, I'll be finishing up internship and will have a year "off" before I could start Path in 2010. Could anyone give me any advice on what I could do in the meantime. I would not be eligible for moonlighting. Overall, I'm looking for something that would provide decent pay and an opportunity to really observe, learn, and engage in what pathologists do.

Members don't see this ad.

Me too!

I used to be a family intern but quit during my intern year. Bad move career wise, I know, but I had to save my sanity. I'm wondering what my chances are to get into path. I heard the cut off for the schools I'm interested in are 80 for the steps. I got a 78 on the first one. but did ok on the second. I did one path rotation in med school. Now I'm just waiting around to apply to path. I am doing some hlth info classes while I wait though to kill time.

I'm trying to find research volunteer opps in path, but no such luck. I can't even get into the observerships cause I already did a rotation at one place, and at the other places they don't offer it or they closed it.

I'm really worried that I won't make the cut. Should I throw in the towel if I made two points below the usual cut off? I haven't got any other things to show I'm a stellar path applicant. =(