What can I do to get in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

annette22

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay Guys,
WHAT CAN I DO .I HAVE TRIED TO WORK ON MY GPA.I HAVE A 3.29 GPA.These days that is a pretty low GPA.It will take me yeaarsto raise my gpa.I have pretty much all prereqs and the more I take classes my gpa does not change.I want to reapply for 2007.I was wait listed for Lecom with a 3.24.I took pcat in june and think I did pretty well.Any advice.Please help

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
Any imput will be appreciated.thanks.

You can't expect a response 30 minutes after you post.

But I'd say maybe trying to raise your GPA, get some experience, and do some volunteering. Then again, I'm a newbie to this sort of thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gauden44 said:
You can't expect a response 30 minutes after you post.

But I'd say maybe trying to raise your GPA, get some experience, and do some volunteering. Then again, I'm a newbie to this sort of thing.
thank you for your imput.I do not know what else because I have the voluntary experience and worked in various pharmacy settings for 3 years total.My GPA IS THE BAD THING.

annette22 said:
thank you for your imput.I do not know what else because I have the voluntary experience and worked in various pharmacy settings for 3 years total.My GPA IS THE BAD THING.

Honey, your GPA is not such a disaster. Have you been rejected one too many times? Becuase you sound desperate. From what you have said you do not sound like you have had so many rejections.

Like the guy above said, get some volun work, be sharp in your essays, interviews and your GPA would not even get that much notice. And yeah, your PCAT should prolly be good if your GPA is not all that.

I got in with a 3.19 and a 93 PCAT. So, my advice is apply to more private schools, and get your applications in now. The earlier they see your application, the better your odds. Sell yourself in some other way. Don't draw attention to your GPA. If they don't ask about it at the interviews, don't volunteer any information.

annette22 said:
Okay Guys,
WHAT CAN I DO .I HAVE TRIED TO WORK ON MY GPA.I HAVE A 3.29 GPA.These days that is a pretty low GPA.It will take me yeaarsto raise my gpa.I have pretty much all prereqs and the more I take classes my gpa does not change.I want to reapply for 2007.I was wait listed for Lecom with a 3.24.I took pcat in june and think I did pretty well.Any advice.Please help
You don't tell us where all you applied, but I second the other poster. You should look at private schools, and you should look at the AACP information on average GPAs to assess which schools might be more likely to accept you. You will probably have to apply to more schools than some people, but really that's not that bad a GPA, unless your science grades are all C's.

I agree with the others....your GPA really isn't that bad. A higher GPA would never hurt but thinking back to my own experiences, after having experienced one bad semester in college and realizing how hard it is to raise your GPA once you have taken a lot of courses, I realize that this might not be the most feasible option for you at this point.

If you are not geographically bound then I agree with the others, apply widely (including private schools as well as your state school). For the schools that you have previously applied to, if you haven't already done so, call and/or visit to find out why you were not accepted and work on those things. Being persistent never hurts and these schools will see your dedication and they may just remember you the next time you apply.

I wish you the best!

mph2pharm said:
I agree with the others....your GPA really isn't that bad. A higher GPA would never hurt but thinking back to my own experiences, after having experienced one bad semester in college and realizing how hard it is to raise your GPA once you have taken a lot of courses, I realize that this might not be the most feasible option for you at this point.

If you are not geographically bound then I agree with the others, apply widely (including private schools as well as your state school). For the schools that you have previously applied to, if you haven't already done so, call and/or visit to find out why you were not accepted and work on those things. Being persistent never hurts and these schools will see your dedication and they may just remember you the next time you apply.

I wish you the best!
Thank you all.This gives me a boost to persist.I did not think about the private school option.Good luck guys .Thanks

I've heard about people getting in with gpas below 3.0.

Of course we've all heard of those special cases where people got in with very low GPA but that's very rare. Besides, they must have had some other redeeming qualitification that the school was able to over look their GPA. I'm not going to disregard the importance of GPA but it is not everything.

annette22, I was in your shoes. I had a horrible semester freshmen year and had a 3.15. I worked my butt off the next 3 semesters, got 4.0 with an average of 14 credits and bumped it to 3.8. It's not hopeless. Plus the fact that Lecom put you on the waitlist is promising already.

Got in with a 2.7 this year (class 2010) in my first year applying. Just saying don't give up hope, you're in a better spot then me!

RyanMaverick said:
Got in with a 2.7 this year (class 2010) in my first year applying. Just saying don't give up hope, you're in a better spot then me!
WTF??! How'd you accomplish that? :)

Get your bachelors..You cant be that far off if youve taken all those classes..

Actually I think they counted it as a 2.8, I'm not sure somewhere around there anyways. I had a lot of others things going for me, if you want you can PM me for details.

3.29 isn't that bad
I'd concentrate on your PCAT, you can change way more in one day taking that test than you can in a year's worth of classes
and what do you mean your GPA isn't changing as you take classes?
it's pretty obvious anything other than an A is going to bring it down
what is your goal? just figure out how many hours of A you need to reach that

again though, 3.29 isn't bad, I'd concentrate on PCAT, LOR, personal essay, applying to several schools, work/volunteer experience and interview skills instead