What can I do to land a tech position at a hospital??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DedicationNSU11

P4
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,

I have been trying for who knows how long to land a position at a hospital, but to no avail. The sad part is that the positions are there and available! Unfortunately, the supervisor has told me directly that they are looking for someone with hospital experience. I only have retail experience. The positions that are available are a full time and a per diem position, and I am more interested in the per diem.

I have gone personally to the hospital to introduce myself but the supervisor was on vacation. I have called and inquired about the position (which is when the supv informed me of the fact they are looking for experience).

So what else can I do to help me land this job? My intentions are genuine as I would like to pursue a clinical position once I graduate from pharmacy school. Thanks!
 
I assume this is the only hospital in your area? Then, probably nothing until you get into pharmacy school. Keep trying, maybe they'll lower their expectations, but if they don't want you, theres not much you can do at this point. You aren't going to drop out of college to go to pharmacy tech school. When you get into pharmacy school, they will probably give you another look since you will get some training there and may potentially become a pharmacist for them later. No need to be in a rush though. Hospital tech positions aren't going to prepare you in any way whatsoever for a clinical position. I also haven't found a lot of hospitals where people enjoy being technicians either. YMMV on that one too.