What can I do to look better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XCourtSmash

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
New member here so sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I am a First year grad student in a biomedical program. I have done much thinking and talked with many people and have decided that a PhD isn't what I want and that practicing medicine is my career desire. Now that I have finally figured out what I want to do with my life, I'm looking back at my undergrad. Not sure if I have a bad, decent, or great (prob not great) chance at even getting into medical school. I have already left my PhD program since it was just 1 year and I was advised that leaving now is a much better decision than dragging it on and leaving later.

Here's my undergrad info: Science GPA of 3.49. Other GPA of 3.9. Total GPA = 3.6. I had a bad semester one year and it was full of science courses so that's the reason for the drop. That semester, it went down to a 2.9, but ever since then it's been back up around 3.7-3.8.

Grad school GPA is 3.75. Mostly A's, 1 B+.

MCAT - 28

Everything else: Volunteered with doctors, volunteered in nursing home, did community outreach, did emergency response as a first responder during undergrad. Hobbies like sports, music, etc.

I want to know what can I do to increase my odds to get into med school. Now that I finally figured out what I want to do with my life, I am willing to try as hard as I can to get into med school. I will definitely re-take the MCAT and try to score higher. I guess I want to know is my GPA screwed? I heard 3.8 or higher is necessary for med school. What other types of volunteer work can I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Reduce your carb intake, drink a lot of water, HIIT, and resistance training.

MCAT - 28...I will definitely re-take the MCAT and try to score higher.
Average MCAT is 31+. Beat that for best results.
I guess I want to know is my GPA screwed?
Nope.
I heard 3.8 or higher is necessary for med school.
Nope. Average is 3.6. Congrats, you're right up the middle.
What other types of volunteer work can I do?
More. Varied clinical exposure is great.

IMHO with a better MCAT you're good to go this June, assuming an April MCAT retake for 31+. Start working on letters of recommendation now. Get the new MSAR when it comes out in April. Read lots of stuff on SDN without taking any one thing too seriously.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your science gpa is a bit low, you could take a couple upper level courses to boost it.
Your MCAT is low for all MD schools, decent for DO schools. It needs to be 30+ to have a decent shot at MD. Have you done shadowing? Do you have recent clinical experience? If not, get some. Prep you app and rec letters this spring and study for the MCAT to retake in late may and get an early app out (June or July). You will be competitive for DO and possibly for MD with a solid MCAT (32+).

lol, will try that.

On a more serious note, I will definitely study and try to beat that MCAT score. Hopefully the MCAT will outweigh the science GPA. I'm not sure I have enough money to take more classes now that I've graduated. Already in debt from undergrad as it is though it's not too bad. I have been thinking about taking an EMT course during the summer. Would that count in helping my science GPA?

Hopefully the MCAT will outweigh the science GPA.
It won't outweigh it. The MCAT shows how you do on a structured hours-long exam. GPAs show performance over time. Your grad work in a hard science helps w/your undergrad science GPA. 3.49 is within one standard deviation of average, so don't kill yourself over it.
I have been thinking about taking an EMT course during the summer. Would that count in helping my science GPA?
No, healthcare training doesn't count as science. But, however you'd pay for that EMT course...you could do the same to pay for another undergrad course or two.

Best of luck to you.

you want to look better?

get some new clothes and a nice watch

watches just look good

yea yea...I know you are not asking about physical looks
:sleep: <--that is my brain right now
I have been doing homework way too long...my posts will not be much help

If possible, Master out of your program so that you have something to show and it avoids some of the more hesitant adcoms.

Also, you need to rock the MCAT. A 28 is barely at the cutoff for most schools and is at the very low-end of getting accepted.

Other than that, you look like a good candidate.

Swimming works great as well.. tones the whole body and makes feel great, I'm serious :)

Eventually the thread will get out of OPs control and turn to something else :laugh:

With the new med schools to be opened (or already opened?), doesnt it somewhat drop?
I don't get it. You meant, there will be lower MCAT requirement?