What can I do with my Pharmd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lubeckd

Learner
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering what you can do with your pharmD
And what do other job titles in industry/hospital/directors do?
how is the workflow like?

Members don't see this ad.

Count by fives and pretend to be a real doctor. You’d need residency, another master’s degree or additional credentialing these days to be credible or relevant. The days where you can “do anything with just a PharmD” have been long gone.

Reactions: 5 users
isnt residency just a way to pay people less to learn on the job? masters in what? MBAs are useless lol. Additional credentialing in residency? hiv? am care? how do I get those?

Members don't see this ad :)
isnt residency just a way to pay people less to learn on the job? masters in what? MBAs are useless lol. Additional credentialing in residency? hiv? am care? how do I get those?
No, residency is more than that and if you’re an already practicing pharmacist and you don’t know that a residency is different from a job outside of pay, then there’s no point in even discussing this further.

By “masters” I mean anything ranging from a research degree to an MBA. You also seem to be way off base with your assessment for what an MBA is worth— get an online MBA or one from a degree mill? Sure, it’s worthless. But get into a top MBA program and it will open up doors.

Finally, by “credentials” I mean such things like board certifications, advanced practice pharmacist certification (CA), etc. Pretty much useless from a knowledge/skills gained standpoint but they are added credentials to have to make your resume look better.

Reactions: 1 user
No, residency is more than that and if you’re an already practicing pharmacist and you don’t know that a residency is different from a job outside of pay, then there’s no point in even discussing this further.

By “masters” I mean anything ranging from a research degree to an MBA. You also seem to be way off base with your assessment for what an MBA is worth— get an online MBA or one from a degree mill? Sure, it’s worthless. But get into a top MBA program and it will open up doors.

Finally, by “credentials” I mean such things like board certifications, advanced practice pharmacist certification (CA), etc. Pretty much useless from a knowledge/skills gained standpoint but they are added credentials to have to make your resume look better.
"
Pharmacy resident programs are a source of cheap labor
Were pharmacy residency programs created because there was an acute lack of knowledge? My belief is that when there was a tighter job market, many pharmacists could learn on the job while earning a high income.
Now, many hospitals and other employers use residents as a source of cheap labor. There are plenty of ways you can save on your student loans during a pharmacy residency, including signing up for PAYE or REPAYE to build credit towards loan forgiveness. You can even cut your interest rate if you are eligible for subsidies.
Employers can hire two or three residents for what they pay one full salary pharmacist. Hence, I’d expect average residency length will continue to grow and more career paths will require advanced training after pharmacy school.
"

"
As a pharmacist, who is married to a pharmacy resident, I must say I am glad to see a clear description of the changes in future pharmacist career prospects and the economic variables involved.
Unfortunately, the BLS was quite dilatory in updating the projections it provides on these matters, which may have pushed more students into PharmD programs than would have otherwise entered the field. It is important that the public is aware of these changes, not only for allocation of federal student loans and student career choice, but for pharmacy stakeholders, organizations, and policy makers to make necessary changes to preserve such a valuable patient and provider resource. Automation, mail order and internet pharmacy, and software algorithm development appear to be outpacing disruptive innovation by pharmacists, as well as legislative campaigns, such as the effort to obtain provider status. Lackluster job outlook compared to previous projections seem to bear this out.
To the point about the use of residents as cheap labor, I can say that several alumni from my graduating class found themselves, in accredited residency programs, being expected to staff their central pharmacies far more often than was listed when they applied. In some cases, these pharmacies avoided using, or even hiring, per-diem pharmacists, and instead have elected to call in residents to cover those shifts. With many newer pharmacists having trouble finding enough per-diem hours to maintain financial stability, I find this troubling; however, this is anecdotal and it is worth mentioning that there are not nearly enough residency programs to meet the surplus in supply of new pharmacy graduates, so the impact on the overall job market is still up for debate. I would be fascinated to see any economic data on this and will continue to follow it closely.

" - from the comment section

Last edited:
The lack of resourcefulness is troubling.

Reactions: 2 users
But I wanted to leave it blank so forum members can think of a position that is suitable with MBA or even cerficates. However since no one is able to think outside industry, retail or hospital it is troubling indeed

I was hoping someone would even mention research scitentist here but it confirms my theory there is nothing to do with the pharmd anymore

Members don't see this ad :)
I was hoping someone would even mention research scitentist here but it confirms my theory there is nothing to do with the pharmd anymore

I used to work for a big name biotech company on the research side, doing experiments to collect parameters for drug transporters on preclinical candidates to build pkpd models, but that was before pharmd tho.

I know a classmate who went on to do research and now works for Samsung Bioepis, but she did some research while in pharmacy school, then went to ASHP Midyear and did PPS, got a fellowship, and now works as a scientist. My pharmacy school emphasized therapeutics and clinical knowledge, but she managed nonetheless.

Most people that do residencies aren't offered a job at their site so what's the point? It just delays their job search by a year or two and puts then way behind financially.

Most people that do residencies aren't offered a job at their site so what's the point? It just delays their job search by a year or two and puts then way behind financially.
Would you rather be unemployed and looking for a job with a residency under your belt, or unemployed and looking for a job with no experience under your belt?

I used to work for a big name biotech company on the research side, doing experiments to collect parameters for drug transporters on preclinical candidates to build pkpd models, but that was before pharmd tho.
Def look into research scitentist
Would you rather be unemployed and looking for a job with a residency under your belt, or unemployed and looking for a job with no experience under your belt?
most people wont hire bcps in retail. and that's where all the jobs are

Last edited:
most people wont hire bops in retail. and that's where all the jobs are
If you knew you wanted to do retail then a community residency will be a plus compared to a new grad with no work experience.

This is not a matter of losing out on an opportunity cost by doing residency or not being able to get a job in a specific location of your choice despite doing residency, but it is about “how can you stand out among all other first-time job applicants” when you finally hit the job market.

Plus, I bet you get brownie points for doing a community residency because retail pharmacies will know that you are a sucker who doesn’t know any better and therefore you are more “marketable” to them because you will most likely be able to tolerate a higher level of abuse and manipulation than a fresh grad who hasn’t been “tested” yet.

Anyways mods can close this thread. I already decided either data science or finance. Probably take the frm and go into risk management. I'm not interested in following the herd on bcps

If you knew you wanted to do retail then a community residency will be a plus compared to a new grad with no work experience.

This is not a matter of losing out on an opportunity cost by doing residency or not being able to get a job in a specific location of your choice despite doing residency, but it is about “how can you stand out among all other first-time job applicants” when you finally hit the job market.

Plus, I bet you get brownie points for doing a community residency because retail pharmacies will know that you are a sucker who doesn’t know any better and therefore you are more “marketable” to them because you will most likely be able to tolerate a higher level of abuse and manipulation than a fresh grad who hasn’t been “tested” yet.

I see what you mean. As I told you, I think residency is not worth it. Both community and hosptial

But I wanted to leave it blank so forum members can think of a position that is suitable with MBA or even cerficates. However since no one is able to think outside industry, retail or hospital it is troubling indeed

We are all pharmacists here. Why do you think anyone would know anything about non-pharmacist jobs? Your best bet is to go ask on career boards, if anyone's company is hiring Pharm D's for non-pharmacist jobs.

Um, this isn't a theory. It's a pretty well known fact that a Pharm D is only useful in jobs that require a licensed pharmacist, or the kinds of jobs where any degree is OK because they just want to make sure the person can read and write.

You could look into becoming an agent for MLB players. Scott Boras has a PharmD and has done pretty well.
thats wild man, its a big change. The sky is the limit, but lets say everyone wants to be BCPS then there are only 60 program with 50% jobs. If everyone wants to something, it will dilute quick. Best way is to find a niche. Each one of us is not just a pharmacist, but something more. A teacher, a husband, parent. Whatever, some are good at research. Im trying to brainstorm a niche. Consultant?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.