what can one do with an MD/MBA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turquoiseblue

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an MBA and an MD. What can I do with it...what types of jobs are out there for people with little outside experience? I have done some residency. Can I just go out and run a hospital? I really don't know what I got myself into.

Thanks very much.

Members don't see this ad.

I have an MBA and an MD. What can I do with it...what types of jobs are out there for people with little outside experience? I have done some residency. Can I just go out and run a hospital? I really don't know what I got myself into.

Thanks very much.

my experience post-mba was that there are certain jobs and industries that you cannot enter (absent a relative in the industry) without an MBA. Think management consulting associate, I-banking associate, something in venture capital.

Another approach, more similar to the one I took, is to start a firm. No one can then advise you how many years you need to work nights & weekends before you can move up the next rung in the ladder.

I'm pretty new to medicine, but have spoken with a number of physician executives about their paths given my business background -- to move up the ranks at one very large, well regarded physician/insurance firm in my area, you must first prove clinical excellence for a handful of years.

Absent a relative who is very well connected, there's no chance you'll complete an MD/MBA and be offered a job running a fair sized hospital. Maybe if you relocate to a small town and agree to take clinical and administrative duties you'd be able to be further up the chain?

So the choices are likely either start as a ground-level physician, or start as a ground-level management person which would likely pay less than an entry level physician role, and work your way up over 5-10 years.

Better idea -- ignore this post, and speak with people who are running hospitals to see how they got to that level!

It always leaves me scratching my head when medical students/residents ask this. Honestly, how backwards is the question "what can I do with a MD/MBA," when the logical question would have been "I want to do [insert], do I need an MBA to achieve my goal?"

And to clarify what the poster below me said, you actually can enter management consulting without an MBA. Many firms, especially the big names (McK, Bain, BCG) all hire advance professional degree candidates at the associate position without a MBA. It's possible to enter a small VC firm without a MBA, but the odds are stacked heavily against you, unless you show uncanny promise in evaluating early phase start ups. As for banking, I don't think you can get hired by a bulge bracket without a MBA at this point. In fact, even if you did, I'm not sure if they would take you. There are plenty of banking analysts in bschool.

Oh, and keep in mind that if your MBA wasn't from a top program (ideally top 7), the chances of landing one of these aforementioned jobs is slim to none.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dont know anything about running a hospital, but it sounds like a huge PAIN IN THE ARSE!

I am being recruited for a consultant position. I do not have MBA. I do not have business experience. The firm i am talking with knows this. They basically want someone who speaks medicine and has an analytical mind, and who is willing to at least tolerate the travel involved. They are very open in saying the business skills needed for the job can be learned on the job. The are desperate for clinical folks.

Reactions: 1 user
I am being recruited for a consultant position. I do not have MBA. I do not have business experience. The firm i am talking with knows this. They basically want someone who speaks medicine and has an analytical mind, and who is willing to at least tolerate the travel involved. They are very open in saying the business skills needed for the job can be learned on the job. The are desperate for clinical folks.

Is this a consulting position for a certain corporation, or is this a consultant position for a bona fide consulting firm? If the latter, is it a strictly health care firm or a larger multi-industry firm?