What Can Ya Tell Me...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SockMonster

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
about UCLA? i mean i've been reading some past messages, tryin to get a feel for what this school is looking for, but i really haven't gotten anything definitive. it's been my life goal to go to UCLA... or possibly the UCLA/CalTech md/phd prgm.. but i'm just shooting for the med prgm right now.

i haven't taken the MCATs yet or anything, so i don't know how i'd stack up there, but i really don't think that a chem/phys double major, math minor is what a medical school is looking for. i mean, all you guys and gals seem to have either majored in bio/psych/etc or done research in a related medical field. i'm just all sorts of physical science stuff... and that's not good. do u think i'd be better off taking a year off, establishing residency in cali and doing some medical volunteer work?

ahh... i'm such a half-wit..

Sock

P.S... thanks for ur help.. i'm really starting to love this board and everyone here.. yeah.. :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

i dont know about what ucla needs, but a handful of people here majored in math,i major in chemical engineering and my research is engineering based, i dont think ur major or research significantly affects ur application, but u should have a clinical research or a volunteer at a clinic or local hospital, if u want the average stats for ucla and their acceptance rates,i can get them for u on usnews.com (in about 2 hrs, am going to sleep now) unless someone beats me to it.
good luck

i'm intervieing at the ucla/caltech md/phd program within the month --
ucla seems like an awesome school - its location is nice - maybe too nice? all the ucla undergrads i know love it, and want to go there for med school, so that is a good indication. also, it seems to have more financial flexibility for med students than the other uc's (this is just stuff i've heard). the caltech angle is awesome, a caltech phd would be incredbile. the only drawback (perhaps a major one) is that it isn't integrated at all - and the caltech people couldn't care less that you need to get out in a reasonable time cause you are an md - quality comes first. which maybe fine with me. they are physically in diff locations which is another issue.

more about the med school? - i'm interested too

Members don't see this ad :)
jot r u from cali? or r u just an incredibly smart mofo? :D the ucla/caltech program just seems sooo difficult to get into. i hope u get in! that would be cool.

Sock

UCLA is the best school in the universe.
New hospital to be completed in 2004.
200 million funding (hospital funding came from Ronald Reagan's thing, so it's separate).
Located in Westwood (near Bel Air, Brentwood, Beverly Hills)
Perfect weather year-round.
UCLA hospital is the best in the west and around 6th according to the almighty USNews.
Tuition for Calif residents is CHEAP.

Only bad things:
Wireless network hasn't yet been implemented
Lecture halls are kinda small
Good weather makes you lazy
I believe the curriculum is still traditional (maybe good for some)
Changed their name to David Geffen School

UCLA is the best school EVAR!!!!!!!!!111

Originally posted by Street Philosopher

UCLA is the best school EVAR!!!!!!!!!111

Amen to that!!! I love UCLA! (always will be a loyal Cal Bears fan however...go Bears!!!) :clap:

i've heard UCLA isn't too friendly, when it comes to you going off for residecny interviews (Won't allo w you to skip classes), and they generally don't care about the students.

Medschool love people who can handle math and physical sciences. just, make sure you have the minimum needed bio classes.

Sonya