What cancer type brings in most money for a practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OncOnc321

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any practicing oncologist provide insight into if certain cancer types tend to bring in more money for a practice? Since a lot of breast cancer patients are on maintenance oral medication, I would think they dont tend to bring as much money in as lung and GI patients that may be getting more chemo infusions.

If there are certain cancer types that are more "lucrative" to treat, what's to stop a practice from focusing on acquiring patients with those cancer types? And what is to stop community providers from "specializing" in the more lucratice cancer types within their practice, especially if they get paid a share of what they bring in? I wish it went without saying, but of course this type of practice would be abhorrent. Clearly there are bad players in all groups so if this dynamic exists, I am surprised I have not heard of it happening.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If there are certain cancer types that are more "lucrative" to treat, what's to stop a practice from focusing on acquiring patients with those cancer types?
Umm maybe because most oncologists aren't in it to only treat patients that have lucrative cancers?

Your question is egregious. This is coming from someone who totally values people heavily considering compensation and one who doesn't think money is a bad reason to go into medicine. It is just very off putting that one would chose to be an oncologist, a specialty that is seen as very upstanding, but only to find a special niche of cancer to treat that will bill the highest income.

Reactions: 4 users
I will clarify I am not trying to get this information to decide on what tumor type to treat but rather to have a clear view of reality when I apply for jobs. For example, you go to a job interview at a private group and they tell you they see a much larger percentage of lung cancer than other groups but no one there really seems to have a specific interest in lung cancer.

I will admit I am entertained that you feel compelled to provide ethics lessons on the internet to a complete stranger. Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Jesus, this thread makes me nauseous

Reactions: 6 users