What careers did you consider/have before medicine (or other healthcare)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which of these fields did you consider before healthcare?

• Finance (investment banking/private equity/S&T/equity research)

• Law

• Education/Academia

• Engineering

• non-HC Science

• Accounting

• Corporate

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ronald Kris

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before shooting for medicine, whether majoring in something else before switching to pre-med, or having another job/career, what was it for you? Also, if you want, how old were you when you decided to switch to premed?

I used to be in finance. Not my thing to live day-to-day, essentially being at the mercy of computers whose next flash crash could cost you a career or margin call, or lacking human interaction besides being harassed by the senior guys. I also don't like gambling. Also, the field is so un-meritocratic to get hired that making a living proves impossible.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was in consulting and project management for a Healthcare Information Tech Company. Basically I was in the EHR/EMR industry. AND I studied History/Economics in undergrad

I was in consulting and project management for a Healthcare Information Tech Company. Basically I was in the EHR/EMR industry. AND I studied History/Economics in undergrad
can I assume you went to an Ivy League joint? (bc you weren't a business major but got into consulting) BTW r u in med school now or post-bacc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Military for 5 years followed by financial consulting for a large government agency. Starting med school in the fall!

can I assume you went to an Ivy League joint? (bc you weren't a business major but got into consulting) BTW r u in med school now or post-bacc?

I'm a post bacc now. 6 more months until I'm done with classes and take the new MCAT. And my undergrad was at a top 20 undergrad (according to USNews rankings), so no it wasn't ivy. But I'm sure it helped me landing the job right out of college.

Currently a high school science teacher, just got an acceptance after reapplying!