What changes would you like to see in the profession?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preoptstudent3

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would you approach these changes?

Members don't see this ad.

Continuation of expanded scope as injections and laser privileges are becoming the norm at this point. Freedom of lab choice for lenses is actually a pretty big deal. Best way to approach these are either to move to a state with an expanded scope or work with the legislature to get you there.

Reactions: 1 users
State reciprocity.
Similar CE requirements by state.
Similar time frame to complete your CE requirements.
On line CE
For all states to rx oral meds
To be able to inject the lid in all states
Anterior laser in all states
To be able to get on all medical plans on all states
Weaken vision plans
Get big corporations out of optometry
Get private equity out of optometry
Change the OD curriculum
Better clinical training for ODs

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
State reciprocity.
On line CE
Weaken vision plans
Change the OD curriculum
How would change the current OD curriculum?

Reactions: 1 user
State reciprocity.
On line CE
Weaken vision plans
Change the OD curriculum

That's quite the laundry list. I'll brighten your day on at least one of those things: online CE is definitely available.

Only speaking for myself in terms of the curriculum, but I felt like my first two years of opt school were basically a glorified part 1 prep course, and not a particularly good one at that. Very little of what I learned during that time was clinically relevant material. I really wish they'd cut out all the fluff and teach us things that are more practical for being a doctor. but that's an educational problem that isn't limited to just optometry

Reactions: 1 users
How would change the current OD curriculum?
Adopt dental school model where OD schools are allowed by law to provide advanced procedures earlier in their optometric curriculum.Students performing LOTS of procedures while in school due to proper consent given by informed patients.

Reactions: 2 users
what is the future of optometry with all the scope expansions going on? Will that increase demand for optometrist since they can do more and increase their pay?

what is the future of optometry with all the scope expansions going on? Will that increase demand for optometrist since they can do more and increase their pay?
A lot of people thing that just because there is scope expansion or more procedures available that it means pay will increase. But it doesn't increase if you don't end up doing any of the procedures. Heck a large majority of ODs still don't even have an OCT. So when they add laser, injections or whatever it doesn't really push up income because I'd say a large amount won't even be doing them. Some will for sure but most don't have the type of practice to support it or a lot are just happy spinning the dial and giving out refractions/glasses. Most can do things like amniotic membrane treatments but few actually do them.