What chu think bout deez skhools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Dr. Hopeamine

· Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City, MO)

· Touro University Nevada College of Osteopathic Medicine (Henderson, NV)

· Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (Philadelphia, PA)

· Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (Des Moines, IA)

· New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (Old Westbury, NY)

· Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine – California (Vallejo, CA)

· Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (Blacksburg, VA)

· Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (Meridian, ID)

· Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University (Downers Grove, IL)

· Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine – New York (New York, NY)

· Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine (Fort Lauderdale, FL)

· Georgia Campus – Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (Suwanee, GA)

· Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (Erie, PA)

I take my MCAT next week but in order I have scored:
495 (123/123/126/123)
494 (123/120/125/126)
499 (123/124/126/126)
498 (124/123/125/126)
496 (123/123/123/127)
502 (123/124/127/128)
503 (127/123/127/126)
505 (128/123/128/126)

Hopefully that's enough info for ya...

I love the feedback :) If you suggest any schools, please give me a very brief reason why you would suggest. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

They're fine but I'd put more. You have a lot of the older schools who get a lot of applications from people around Those scores. I would shoot for 20ish schools. Add newer schools just so that you don't have to go through the process again.

Is Idaho taking students this year?

Your sGPA looks great. How's your EC? It all depends on your MCAT score.
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
If MCAT >508 add in AZCOM. If lower take out CCOM and coastal Touros.

Reactions: 1 user
Where is your state of residence? If you are not from NY then I would not bother with NYITCOM. They have a huge instate bias. Also, ICOM will probably be a great back-up school as they won't be accepting apps till later in the cycle. I imagine since they are a newer, for profit school in an undesirable location, they will be more focused on filling seats as opposed to weeding through the slim pool of applicants.

See below graph to see how your locations will affect your chances at certain DO schools.
http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/data-and-trends/2015_MatCOMState.pdf?sfvrsn=14

@DO2015CA Yes, they are taking students, however, when I reached out to them they had said they were hoping to achieve provisional accreditation by the end of 2017 (extremely concerning). But @bears1992 I am an Idaho resident which is why I have added them. They are certainly not my first pick though. @dial1010usa I have over 100 hours shadowing in cardiology, ENT, ortho, family practice, internal medicine, general surgery. I am currently working with a hospice where I visit their patients just to socialize since a lot of them don't have family around. I remodeled a women's shelter, sent care packages to cambodia, volunteered one summer to dissect cadavers for my school since I excelled in A&P, I am the treasurer of my schools STEM club and have taken part in various activities with the pre-health club like helping elementary school kids learn about the body. I also have periodically volunteered at my local soup kitchen. Thanks @Goro for the advice!

@DO2015CA Yes, they are taking students, however, when I reached out to them they had said they were hoping to achieve provisional accreditation by the end of 2017 (extremely concerning). But @bears1992 I am an Idaho resident which is why I have added them. They are certainly not my first pick though. @dial1010usa I have over 100 hours shadowing in cardiology, ENT, ortho, family practice, internal medicine, general surgery. I am currently working with a hospice where I visit their patients just to socialize since a lot of them don't have family around. I remodeled a women's shelter, sent care packages to cambodia, volunteered one summer to dissect cadavers for my school since I excelled in A&P, I am the treasurer of my schools STEM club and have taken part in various activities with the pre-health club like helping elementary school kids learn about the body. I also have periodically volunteered at my local soup kitchen. Thanks @Goro for the advice!
Well they can't take students until they have provisional accreditation. Their website says they are looking to serve the area and surrounding area so assuming they don't start taking apps until 2018, anyone in Idaho with a 500+ MCAT and a 3.0+ GPA is probably going to get an auto acceptance. I doubt they would have been able to raise all that money for their school unless the investors were confident that they would be able to have a full class of tuition paying students for 2018.

Also, if you are from Idaho, I would save a few bucks and get rid of NYITCOM. I doubt that school has ever accepted a student from Idaho.

If you're in Idaho apply to UWashigton even if it's your only MD school.

If you're in Idaho apply to UWashigton even if it's your only MD school.
They're like 3rd nationally in terms of publicly funded research and I haven't done an ounce of research... Still think I should?

They're like 3rd nationally in terms of publicly funded research and I haven't done an ounce of research... Still think I should?
Absolutely. They have a program just for those states up there that don't have school. Just say you want to go back to Idaho to practice in a small town

Nova does more in their first year than any other DO school. Overboard IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why 508? Is that what's minimally needed to be considered competitive or is that just for OP's GPA?

The two midwesterns and coastal Touros have a hard on for higher MCAT scores. AZCOM generally only interviews people with above a 507 unless they need to so they can get enough to fill seats.