What class subject did your non-science letter writer teach?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ihave Nonamè

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just looking for ideas about what to enroll in...

Members don't see this ad.

I have two, one from Latin American history, and one from Social Psych

Make sure you do well in your class.

Members don't see this ad :)
My non-science writer taught my honors program meditation/yoga seminar.

business strategies or leadership in business... something like that lol, just do well in the class and have a good relationship with the professor

Reactions: 1 user
IMO, something that requires a fair amount of writing would be helpful. I think an LOR from a professor that articulates how well a student writes would be of interest to schools.

Interesting. Were there opportunities in the class to show leadership, communication skills, etc?
Not really leadership, but It was a discussion heavy Class, and I had a good relationship with the professor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Communication.

I think it's less what subject it is and more the connection you share. Thus, smaller class sizes with more opportunities for class participation are best. I notice a few people mention language courses. I could certainly see that being a good option. At least at my school, language classes are capped at 20 people and there are a lot of opportunities for the instructor to see you "in action" working with others.

For me, communication was the way to go for the same reason. It was a 20-person class based off group activities to help us write our speeches.

Communication.

I think it's less what subject it is and more the connection you share. Thus, smaller class sizes with more opportunities for class participation are best. I notice a few people mention language courses. I could certainly see that being a good option. At least at my school, language classes are capped at 20 people and there are a lot of opportunities for the instructor to see you "in action" working with others.

For me, communication was the way to go for the same reason. It was a 20-person class based off group activities to help us write our speeches.
Oh definitely. I was hoping to hear some here that sounded interesting to me as well as had potential for professor connections. Liberal arts classes aren't generally too interesting to me but also tend to involve a lot of needless assignments (imo).

Business operations! but I picked her because of the relationship I had and I thought she would be best able to write a strong letter for me.

Pre-calculus and calculus! Had the same prof for both semesters so I was able to build a strong relationship.

Mine was my Chinese prof who I took a class with for 3 quarters in a row!

if your school has an honors program you can get into, or the business school has a certificate or small minor program, try to get into those. while the skills and lessons you'll learn about are fun, often times these classes are smaller and in a sequence of 2-3 semesters taught by the same prof. it allows you to really get to know them. my honors class series is three semesters (just finished the first) and ends in a study abroad in England. I already have a great relationship with the prof and will only get to know her more over the next 2-3 terms. helps a lot.

French, a professor I had for multiple semesters. I think language classes are a common choice. My school had a flipped classroom for languages, so my professor got to see my communication, teamwork, responsibility, and problem-solving in action. It can also show your ability to take initiative, since many language courses are participation-heavy. My professor liked that I was always happy to volunteer answers (without being overbearing), even when I wasn't 100% confident in my speaking ability. You can show that you're willing to push yourself even when it's a little uncomfortable.

Reactions: 1 users
A little late to the thread but a Theology professor (spent a good deal of time with him outside of class and was the moderator of the club I ran) and an Engineering professor (I took multiple classes and did research with her). Honestly I would say as long as you've built a relationship with the professor in some capacity, they can articulate their thoughts well, and can say positive things about you (this is major) you should be fine.

Italian 1 and 2, got a B- in both but he really really liked me and I thought he was an amazing professor so I banked on the idea that his words of affirmation would help. Also, Italian is sooooo hard when you already know Spanish and continuously switch between both in every sentence that you write because its so similar