iBeast

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student
So which pre-req. class really separate the men from the boys? I know it ain't Chem I, II or Bio I, II.

OP
I

iBeast

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student
Alright...everyone is so neck and neck somebody is bound to get cut off soon...btw Passion you have over 1k post already lol...Should I be worried or GJ?

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
Alright...everyone is so neck and neck somebody is bound to get cut off soon...btw Passion you have over 1k post already lol...Should I be worried or GJ?
Hm, I don't know, to be honest I hadn't even noticed.

I think the scary part is how many of my posts are like, 2 paragraphs or longer. I blame my iPhone and not taking a lot of summer classes!

Transformer

10+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
Physics (for engineering majors)

Organic Chemistry

Biochemistry

Human and Vertebrate Anatomy and Physiology

Physical Chemistry

SHC1984

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pharmacy Student
Calculus based Physics II was very hard. Physical chemistry wasn't easy either, but it isn't require for pharm school.

Boop2002

10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2006
Status
organic for sure, but dont doubt the physical chemistry or immunology

Jun 22, 2009
Status
i heard pchem is a killer
Yes, pchem is a major pain in the @SS, that class alone is equivalent to ATLEAST 4 class by itself. I hate writting those loooooong and hard reports, Ochem is a kid compare to this class IMO. I would rate this class grand daddy.

EDIT: This class is for chem. major only, no need to get scare and flip for those who don't know.

charfdorn

10+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2009
Denver, CO
Status
Pharmacy Student
Weight lifting? Survival skills? I thought this was a funny way to phrase your question. But yeah, organic is pretty much it. Supposedly, it's the best indicator of how well you'll do in pharmacy school (ie, an A in O Chem means you're likely to succeed), and also probably the hardest required course. Some of that depends on the school, though. In Purdue's engineering programs, it's calculus I.

AdamSanders

Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2008
Cleveland
Status
Pharmacy Student
At my school I'd say it has to be Biochem. Bio majors at my school couldn't handle it (which I thought was weird) and most graduates 2-3 years ago had to switch to a BA because they couldn't hack it. Now they changed the BS bio degree to not require it.

sakigt

10+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Status
Pharmacist
Chem II in a 7 week Summer course took its toll on me. Everything else I stayed sane through.

diastole

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Where the sun don't shine
Status
Pharmacist
I don't think any of them are bad as long as you get your fundamentals down. If you learn for the sake of learning and not just to achieve high grades, you will adjust to the difficulty level of the classes. And that has the added bonus of making studying for the PCAT a breeze.

IrishHammer

Rated Rx Superstar
10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2009
Western New York
Status
Pharmacy Student
So which pre-req. class really separate the men from the boys? I know it ain't Chem I, II or Bio I, II.
At my school, we held a battle royale to separate the men from the boys. Whomever was left standing was allowed to apply to pharmacy school.

That's the natural way.

IrishHammer

Rated Rx Superstar
10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2009
Western New York
Status
Pharmacy Student
Then the girls/women took 70% of the spots. :D
Number of guys from my school who were accepted: 2.
Number of girls who were accepted: 0.

Swish.

IrishHammer

Rated Rx Superstar
10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2009
Western New York
Status
Pharmacy Student
then how did you get accepted?! ha
Ha...ha...that's funny...good one...Goddamn, I guess people from Iowa are just as bland and unentertaining as the state itself.

desmoulins45179

Waiting for the TARDIS
Apr 30, 2009
Iowa City, IA
Status
Pharmacy Student
At my school, we held a battle royale to separate the men from the boys. Whomever was left standing was allowed to apply to pharmacy school.

That's the natural way.
But if it was a true battle royale then only 1 would be left standing.

IrishHammer

Rated Rx Superstar
10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2009
Western New York
Status
Pharmacy Student
Your sample is two? :laugh:
My Organic class was all of 10 people.

-3 were/are going into PA school
-1 is going into medicinal chemistry
-1 got rejected
-1 took Organic before General Chem and is applying this year
-1 was an old man going back to school
-1 was some lady who didn't show up that often...don't know her story
-2 people got into pharmacy school

IrishHammer

Rated Rx Superstar
10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2009
Western New York
Status
Pharmacy Student
But if it was a true battle royale then only 1 would be left standing.
It was a "one applicant per school" deal. New York State thought it would be cruel to have a contest where all but one person perished. ***** mother****er *******s.

diastole

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Where the sun don't shine
Status
Pharmacist
My Organic class was all of 10 people.

-3 were/are going into PA school
-1 is going into medicinal chemistry
-1 got rejected
-1 took Organic before General Chem and is applying this year
-1 was an old man going back to school
-1 was some lady who didn't show up that often...don't know her story
-2 people got into pharmacy school
Ooh, I can do the low sample size thing too. In my pre-pharmacy club, I know of three people who got accepted. All were women. So add your sample with my sample and we have women getting just 60% of the spots.

IrishHammer

Rated Rx Superstar
10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2009
Western New York
Status
Pharmacy Student
Ooh, I can do the low sample size thing too. In my pre-pharmacy club, I know of three people who got accepted. All were women. So add your sample with my sample and we have women getting just 60% of the spots.
That's about right. Pharmacy schools generally range from 50-50 to 75-25 in terms of the female to male student body percentage.

It was a kick in the pants knowing we were fighting for spots that were already 70% filled. A lot of good men died fighting for that last 30%.

charfdorn

10+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2009
Denver, CO
Status
Pharmacy Student
Let me even the sample here... I know of only myself from my particular class at my particular school applying to pharmacy school, and I got in (and I'm a guy). So now it's back to 50/50.

Hels2007

I bite
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
Quant, definitely. Most non-chem majors dont' even attempt it. And of those who do, more than half drop out along the way.

SHC1984

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pharmacy Student
Quant, definitely. Most non-chem majors dont' even attempt it. And of those who do, more than half drop out along the way.
Quant was EASY compare to Physical Chemistry. That class was the reason why I am a BA in chemistry and not a BS. :(

SHC1984

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pharmacy Student
That's about right. Pharmacy schools generally range from 50-50 to 75-25 in terms of the female to male student body percentage.

It was a kick in the pants knowing we were fighting for spots that were already 70% filled. A lot of good men died fighting for that last 30%.
yep, pharmacy schools favor females. :D

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
yep, pharmacy schools favor females. :D
It sure seems like it in my hospital, too.

Not only am I the only white dude in a white coat in a pharmacy of ~30 employees/volunteers, I'm also one of a whopping two men.

SHC1984

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pharmacy Student
Not really sure, but if you guys just look at all the pharm school stats you will notice that all the classes are 70% females and 30% males. I guess pharmacy is like nursing now.

DrWrong

Give me knowledge.
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
It sure seems like it in my hospital, too.

Not only am I the only white dude in a white coat in a pharmacy of ~30 employees/volunteers, I'm also one of a whopping two men.

Trust me, that is nothing to complain about!!! ;-)

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
I can't wait to volunteer there
it's not just there, it's everywhere. Every Rite-Aid in my city and Sacramento writ large has maybe one male pharmacist, and a flotilla of female techs and maybe a female pharmacist too.

I guess it's par for the course in health care, but pharmacy as a whole is inundated by those XX chromosome types!

AKN16

Accepted Pharmacy student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2009
Up there
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Organic chemistry. Without a shadow of a doubt.

Jul 15, 2009
Orange County
Status
Pharmacy Student
it's not just there, it's everywhere. Every Rite-Aid in my city and Sacramento writ large has maybe one male pharmacist, and a flotilla of female techs and maybe a female pharmacist too.

I guess it's par for the course in health care, but pharmacy as a whole is inundated by those XX chromosome types!
yay! haha

To OP: Organic Chemistry. Maybe Genetics too if your school has a really hard class/teacher like mine does.

Hels2007

I bite
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
Quant was EASY compare to Physical Chemistry. That class was the reason why I am a BA in chemistry and not a BS. :(
I heard that too, but I didn't take PChem. :) And I had an A- in Quant... but more than half of the class dropped out, and I was the only one with an A-, the next highest grade was a B-. :D Depends on a prof too, as I spoke with some people from two other local schools and their Quant class was nothing like ours. Standardized ACS final was a joke compared to what we did for class, as far as I remember. That was the only class in my nearly 20 year academic career that I actually prepared for in advance. And that prof also was the first person to tell me of the brand-spanking-new search engine called Google which only just came out back then. :D

SHC1984

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pharmacy Student
I heard that too, but I didn't take PChem. :) And I had an A- in Quant... but more than half of the class dropped out, and I was the only one with an A-, the next highest grade was a B-. :D Depends on a prof too, as I spoke with some people from two other local schools and their Quant class was nothing like ours. Standardized ACS final was a joke compared to what we did for class, as far as I remember. That was the only class in my nearly 20 year academic career that I actually prepared for in advance. And that prof also was the first person to tell me of the brand-spanking-new search engine called Google which only just came out back then. :D
Thats true. Depends on who your professor is...my didn't require that I memorize all the equations...thank goodness! I know one that did and his exams were harder. Plus I went to a regular public college for undergrad, that proberly made it easier for me as well. :)

TheScientist

UNC Class of 2013
10+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2008
NC
Status
Pharmacy Student
Physical Chem and Biochemistry

calisoca

10+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student
I'm not going to complain. Our school too is ~70% female with just over 50% of those females being asian.

gi...gi...dy

That's for you Kirbypuff

yappy

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
So it seems that people reference a variety of courses depending on institution and major - although organic chemistry seems to show up many times as a challenging course.
In light of this I was wondering what you think of my schedule next year?

Ochem
Anatomy & Phys
Spanish (first year)

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

alenadoma

10+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student
So it seems that people reference a variety of courses depending on institution and major - although organic chemistry seems to show up many times as a challenging course.

Ochem
Anatomy & Phys
Spanish (first year)

What do you guys think?

Thanks.
Seems pretty easy. You could definitely add something else if you wanted to.

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student

Ochem
Anatomy & Phys
Spanish (first year)

What do you guys think?

Thanks.
I'd definitely add another class to that! How about Psychology, Speech or Economics?