-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
What classes separate the men from the boys?
Started by iBeast
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Physics and Organic Chemistry!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
biochem , physics, o chem
not a requirement , but i heard pchem is a killer
not a requirement , but i heard pchem is a killer
Alright...everyone is so neck and neck somebody is bound to get cut off soon...btw Passion you have over 1k post already lol...Should I be worried or GJ?
Hm, I don't know, to be honest I hadn't even noticed.
I think the scary part is how many of my posts are like, 2 paragraphs or longer. I blame my iPhone and not taking a lot of summer classes!
Physics (for engineering majors)
Organic Chemistry
Biochemistry
Human and Vertebrate Anatomy and Physiology
Physical Chemistry
Organic Chemistry
Biochemistry
Human and Vertebrate Anatomy and Physiology
Physical Chemistry
organic for sure, but dont doubt the physical chemistry or immunology
Organic Chem was easy.
Biochem and Physics II gave me the biggest headaches.
Biochem and Physics II gave me the biggest headaches.
i heard pchem is a killer
Yes, pchem is a major pain in the @SS, that class alone is equivalent to ATLEAST 4 class by itself. I hate writting those loooooong and hard reports, Ochem is a kid compare to this class IMO. I would rate this class grand daddy.
EDIT: This class is for chem. major only, no need to get scare and flip for those who don't know.
Weight lifting? Survival skills? I thought this was a funny way to phrase your question. But yeah, organic is pretty much it. Supposedly, it's the best indicator of how well you'll do in pharmacy school (ie, an A in O Chem means you're likely to succeed), and also probably the hardest required course. Some of that depends on the school, though. In Purdue's engineering programs, it's calculus I.
At my school I'd say it has to be Biochem. Bio majors at my school couldn't handle it (which I thought was weird) and most graduates 2-3 years ago had to switch to a BA because they couldn't hack it. Now they changed the BS bio degree to not require it.
I don't think any of them are bad as long as you get your fundamentals down. If you learn for the sake of learning and not just to achieve high grades, you will adjust to the difficulty level of the classes. And that has the added bonus of making studying for the PCAT a breeze.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So which pre-req. class really separate the men from the boys? I know it ain't Chem I, II or Bio I, II.
At my school, we held a battle royale to separate the men from the boys. Whomever was left standing was allowed to apply to pharmacy school.
That's the natural way.
At my school, we held a battle royale to separate the men from the boys. Whomever was left standing was allowed to apply to pharmacy school.
That's the natural way.
Then the girls/women took 70% of the spots. 😀
Then the girls/women took 70% of the spots. 😀
Number of guys from my school who were accepted: 2.
Number of girls who were accepted: 0.
Swish.
Number of guys from my school who were accepted: 2.
Number of girls who were accepted: 0.
Swish.
then how did you get accepted?! ha
then how did you get accepted?! ha
Ha...ha...that's funny...good one...Goddamn, I guess people from Iowa are just as bland and unentertaining as the state itself.
Number of guys from my school who were accepted: 2.
Number of girls who were accepted: 0.
Swish.
Your sample is two?

At my school, we held a battle royale to separate the men from the boys. Whomever was left standing was allowed to apply to pharmacy school.
That's the natural way.
But if it was a true battle royale then only 1 would be left standing.
Your sample is two?![]()
My Organic class was all of 10 people.
-3 were/are going into PA school
-1 is going into medicinal chemistry
-1 got rejected
-1 took Organic before General Chem and is applying this year
-1 was an old man going back to school
-1 was some lady who didn't show up that often...don't know her story
-2 people got into pharmacy school
But if it was a true battle royale then only 1 would be left standing.
It was a "one applicant per school" deal. New York State thought it would be cruel to have a contest where all but one person perished. ***** mother****er *******s.
My Organic class was all of 10 people.
-3 were/are going into PA school
-1 is going into medicinal chemistry
-1 got rejected
-1 took Organic before General Chem and is applying this year
-1 was an old man going back to school
-1 was some lady who didn't show up that often...don't know her story
-2 people got into pharmacy school
Ooh, I can do the low sample size thing too. In my pre-pharmacy club, I know of three people who got accepted. All were women. So add your sample with my sample and we have women getting just 60% of the spots.
Ooh, I can do the low sample size thing too. In my pre-pharmacy club, I know of three people who got accepted. All were women. So add your sample with my sample and we have women getting just 60% of the spots.
That's about right. Pharmacy schools generally range from 50-50 to 75-25 in terms of the female to male student body percentage.
It was a kick in the pants knowing we were fighting for spots that were already 70% filled. A lot of good men died fighting for that last 30%.
Ooh, I can do the low sample size thing too. In my pre-pharmacy club, I know of three people who got accepted. All were women. So add your sample with my sample and we have women getting just 60% of the spots.
Let me even the sample here... I know of only myself from my particular class at my particular school applying to pharmacy school, and I got in (and I'm a guy). So now it's back to 50/50.
Ha...ha...that's funny...good one...Goddamn, I guess people from Iowa are just as bland and unentertaining as the state itself.
unentertaining to the un-trained eyes
Quant, definitely. Most non-chem majors dont' even attempt it. And of those who do, more than half drop out along the way.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Quant, definitely. Most non-chem majors dont' even attempt it. And of those who do, more than half drop out along the way.
Quant was EASY compare to Physical Chemistry. That class was the reason why I am a BA in chemistry and not a BS. 🙁
That's about right. Pharmacy schools generally range from 50-50 to 75-25 in terms of the female to male student body percentage.
It was a kick in the pants knowing we were fighting for spots that were already 70% filled. A lot of good men died fighting for that last 30%.
yep, pharmacy schools favor females. 😀
yep, pharmacy schools favor females. 😀
Really? Or do females make better grades?
yep, pharmacy schools favor females. 😀
It sure seems like it in my hospital, too.
Not only am I the only white dude in a white coat in a pharmacy of ~30 employees/volunteers, I'm also one of a whopping two men.
It sure seems like it in my hospital, too.
Not only am I the only white dude in a white coat in a pharmacy of ~30 employees/volunteers, I'm also one of a whopping two men.
Trust me, that is nothing to complain about!!! ;-)
Married.
I can't wait to volunteer there
I can't wait to volunteer there
it's not just there, it's everywhere. Every Rite-Aid in my city and Sacramento writ large has maybe one male pharmacist, and a flotilla of female techs and maybe a female pharmacist too.
I guess it's par for the course in health care, but pharmacy as a whole is inundated by those XX chromosome types!
it's not just there, it's everywhere. Every Rite-Aid in my city and Sacramento writ large has maybe one male pharmacist, and a flotilla of female techs and maybe a female pharmacist too.
I guess it's par for the course in health care, but pharmacy as a whole is inundated by those XX chromosome types!
yay! haha
To OP: Organic Chemistry. Maybe Genetics too if your school has a really hard class/teacher like mine does.
I heard that too, but I didn't take PChem. 🙂 And I had an A- in Quant... but more than half of the class dropped out, and I was the only one with an A-, the next highest grade was a B-. 😀 Depends on a prof too, as I spoke with some people from two other local schools and their Quant class was nothing like ours. Standardized ACS final was a joke compared to what we did for class, as far as I remember. That was the only class in my nearly 20 year academic career that I actually prepared for in advance. And that prof also was the first person to tell me of the brand-spanking-new search engine called Google which only just came out back then. 😀Quant was EASY compare to Physical Chemistry. That class was the reason why I am a BA in chemistry and not a BS. 🙁
I heard that too, but I didn't take PChem. 🙂 And I had an A- in Quant... but more than half of the class dropped out, and I was the only one with an A-, the next highest grade was a B-. 😀 Depends on a prof too, as I spoke with some people from two other local schools and their Quant class was nothing like ours. Standardized ACS final was a joke compared to what we did for class, as far as I remember. That was the only class in my nearly 20 year academic career that I actually prepared for in advance. And that prof also was the first person to tell me of the brand-spanking-new search engine called Google which only just came out back then. 😀
Thats true. Depends on who your professor is...my didn't require that I memorize all the equations...thank goodness! I know one that did and his exams were harder. Plus I went to a regular public college for undergrad, that proberly made it easier for me as well. 🙂
Physical Chem and Biochemistry
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I guess it's par for the course in health care, but pharmacy as a whole is inundated by those XX chromosome types!
I'm not going to complain. Our school too is ~70% female with just over 50% of those females being asian.
gi...gi...dy
That's for you Kirbypuff
I'm not going to complain. Our school too is ~70% female with just over 50% of those females being asian.
gi...gi...dy
That's for you Kirbypuff
wow ..... what school is that? in california?
So it seems that people reference a variety of courses depending on institution and major - although organic chemistry seems to show up many times as a challenging course.
In light of this I was wondering what you think of my schedule next year?
Ochem
Anatomy & Phys
Spanish (first year)
What do you guys think?
Thanks.
In light of this I was wondering what you think of my schedule next year?
Ochem
Anatomy & Phys
Spanish (first year)
What do you guys think?
Thanks.
So it seems that people reference a variety of courses depending on institution and major - although organic chemistry seems to show up many times as a challenging course.
In light of this I was wondering what you think of my schedule next year?
Ochem
Anatomy & Phys
Spanish (first year)
What do you guys think?
Thanks.
Seems pretty easy. You could definitely add something else if you wanted to.
So it seems that people reference a variety of courses depending on institution and major - although organic chemistry seems to show up many times as a challenging course.
In light of this I was wondering what you think of my schedule next year?
Ochem
Anatomy & Phys
Spanish (first year)
What do you guys think?
Thanks.
I'd definitely add another class to that! How about Psychology, Speech or Economics?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K
E
H
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 789
H
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K
- Question
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 4K