1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

What classes to take at post bach

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by moldovanits, Mar 28, 2007.

1. moldovanits

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    not to so ignorant but i never thought about it till now. what courses should i take in the postbach or what to take?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dauber

Dauber Big Baby Jesus
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'd say take some art classes, i.e. jewelry-making, metals, etc.

4. moldovanits

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    maybe i should take a sewing class also.jk

5. IcemanDDS

IcemanDDS Dr of Dental Shadowing
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Umm not so much. Why are you taking a post-bac? Have to look at what grades need improving. Any pre-reqs that you havnt taken yet? Also suggest some of the upper level sciences that you never took (ie microbiology, cell/molecular, A&P, etc). Prob need to focus on improving science GPA. If you have extra time/money then maybe look into an art class.

6. Regmata

Regmata Member
    Dentist 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hmm, for my post bac I took

Human Anatomy, chem 1 +2, Cell bio, evolutionary bio, physics 1 + 2, medical ethics, physiology 1 + 2, molecular biology, biochem, comparative anatomy, organic 1 + 2, medical terminology, several gym classes and whatever other fluff courses I could take to keep me full time.

I may be missing a thing or two, but that about does it...

Worked for me, goodluck

7. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Any upper level biology classes that you haven't taken.

8. Dauber

Dauber Big Baby Jesus
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    :laugh: Take science courses??!?! But why?

Obviously take your prereq's and upper bio if you hadn't done so. I wouldn't think someone would need to be advised to do that. However, most dental schools recommend classes that improve manual dexterity so a class or two in something like jewelry-making is a great idea that I think is worth thinking about. You can do that in addition to whatever else you think you're lacking. I finished up a publication in muscle physiology and took some art/science classes recreationally postbac and most the schools I interviewed at commented on my taking the art class; more than the research actually.

9. dp_PRIME

dp_PRIME Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Take as many graduate level or at least upper level bio or chem courses u can. If you are taking the post-bacc classes to beef up ur GPA and look good for the admissions folk, u want to show them that you can handle graduate level science courses and that you can handle MANY at the same time, which correlates somewhat to the courseload you would see at dental school. Don't worry too much about research either, they want to see didactic work above all else.