What Classes to Take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Enginerds

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am deciding on my schedule for next year and hoping to get some advice from you guys. For the basic pre-reqs I only need 1 bio class to complete 1 yr bio, 1 yr physics, 2 years calc, O&G-Chem and English. I was wondering what other classes would be beneficial for my application. Also, I will be taking MCAT's in April/May and work 40hrs a week. My list of potential classes is:

1. Biochem II
2. Psychology
3. Biochem III
4. Intro Human Anatomy
5. Intro Human Physiology
6. Statistics
7. Intro Cell Biology

With Stats, I figure that if a school requires it I can always take it after I apply. But not sure what do with the rest. I'd like to bolster my low gpa with a few more A's, but I also want to make sure I have enough time for MCAT studying. Also, Biochems and Cell Bio are upper division science courses if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your list of potential classes sounds great.

For med school, getting As is more important than anything else. Consider wrking fewer hours so that you can maintain a high GPA.

Throughout my Undergrad. and Post-Bac studies, I took all of the courses that you listed except anatomy. You'll get all the anatomy you need in Medical School, and there's generally not much anatomy on the MCAT (although this past April, people were complaining of a passage with a lot of anatomy -- I didn't have that passage, though.) The others will probably all be useful. I highly recommend taking physiology before the MCAT. I had a few passages that were directly based on things that I had covered in my physiology class that semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
Human Anotomy is fun. I read over 500 pages of a 1000 pages text book and remembered thousands of complicated names after 2 months of class (half way point of the semester). It gives you a "baby" version of the real anatomy class in medical school. I like it alot because you get to learn some physiology with it and a very practical class if you want to learn about the human body.

The A's and the good MCAT score are the most important items. I strongly recommend working fewer hours. I was in a post-bacc program for a year, and studied for the MCAT while taking 16 credits of science courses with lab in the spring. I did not work, and I could not have done well if I did work. I don't know your situation, but my wife worked to pick up the slack so I could study. You may have to work, but keep in mind the main priority is to get into medical school.

Thanks for the advice. I don't really have the option of quiting work right now (mortgages, bills etc.), and I am a full time exempt employee so I don't have the option of only working part time either.

Thanks for the tip about physiology, I think I'll take it in winter quarter now, before the MCAT.

For the past year I've been working 40hrs, Voluenteering 8hrs and taking classes 14hrs/week. I'm cutting back on the volenteering next year, so I will have some more time for studying.