Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What classes would fulfill a genetics pre-req?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by amakhosidlo, Jan 5, 2009.

1. amakhosidlo

amakhosidlo Accepted
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    After looking over my transcripts in preparation for applying to graduate, I've realized I've backed myself up against the wall a bit in terms of classes I need to take and 'should' take before I graduate.

It's looking right now that I won't be able to fit in our school's standard-issue Genetics for science majors, which wouldn't really bug me that much except for the fact that a class in the subject is now required or suggested by many schools, including my state institution.

Luckily, I just happen to be taking two course that heavily involve genetics this quarter; Recombinant DNA techniques and Gene Action. In the course description for one of the classes, the professor suggests we not take the standard genetics class concurrently with his own due to the fact that there is so much overlap between the two.

Is there any chance my course selection might be able to fulfill the genetics requirement that schools are starting to impose?

2. funkydrmonkey

funkydrmonkey They Call Me Dr. Funkmonk
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    We cannot help you with this... you need to contact the med schools themselves...

3. pianola

pianola MS2
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hmm...I would think a genetics requirement is pretty rare. But like funky said, re: your state school, you're going to want to contact them directly.

4. MedMan25

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
  5. diosa428

diosa428 SDN Angel
    5+ Year Member

I would imagine the courses you are taking will suffice. Med schools will see courses with names that indicate they are genetics courses. It doesn't have to be your school's standard genetics course.

6. amakhosidlo

amakhosidlo Accepted
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Uh...yeah, they do.

UWSOM app requirements, just updated this year (From their web page):
    "Chemistry and Biology:
    6 semesters or 9 quarters. The subject matter in these courses must include general chemistry, general biology, biochemistry, molecular genetics, and cell biology/cell physiology."

7. MilkmanAl

MilkmanAl Al the Ass Mod
    Physician 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Is this sort of like asking "How many wheels does an 18-wheeler have?"? Take a class with "genetics" in the title, and as long as it isn't "Literature of Genetics" or "The History of Genetics in Medieval Europe," you'll be fine.

8. Insulinshock

Insulinshock Class of 2022
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    something tells me 'genetics' would fill the void.

(i didnt read your post, i just couldnt resist the smart*ss answer :p)

9. cubssox2000

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would go out on a limb and say that Recombinant DNA is a genetics course. I am curious though as to how you plan on taking this course without having taken the basic genetics course. It would seem odd that the Recombinant class does not require the basic genetics class as a pre-req to itself. I only ask because I took a Recombinant DNA Laboratory, and basic genetics was required and needed to understand all of the techniques and applications.

10. MedMan25

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well then it sounds like you need to take a genetics course.