What classes would fulfill a genetics pre-req?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amakhosidlo

Accepted
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After looking over my transcripts in preparation for applying to graduate, I've realized I've backed myself up against the wall a bit in terms of classes I need to take and 'should' take before I graduate.

It's looking right now that I won't be able to fit in our school's standard-issue Genetics for science majors, which wouldn't really bug me that much except for the fact that a class in the subject is now required or suggested by many schools, including my state institution.

Luckily, I just happen to be taking two course that heavily involve genetics this quarter; Recombinant DNA techniques and Gene Action. In the course description for one of the classes, the professor suggests we not take the standard genetics class concurrently with his own due to the fact that there is so much overlap between the two.

Is there any chance my course selection might be able to fulfill the genetics requirement that schools are starting to impose?

Members don't see this ad.

After looking over my transcripts in preparation for applying to graduate, I've realized I've backed myself up against the wall a bit in terms of classes I need to take and 'should' take before I graduate.

It's looking right now that I won't be able to fit in our school's standard-issue Genetics for science majors, which wouldn't really bug me that much except for the fact that a class in the subject is now required or suggested by many schools, including my state institution.

Luckily, I just happen to be taking two course that heavily involve genetics this quarter; Recombinant DNA techniques and Gene Action. In the course description for one of the classes, the professor suggests we not take the standard genetics class concurrently with his own due to the fact that there is so much overlap between the two.

Is there any chance my course selection might be able to fulfill the genetics requirement that schools are starting to impose?

We cannot help you with this... you need to contact the med schools themselves...

Hmm...I would think a genetics requirement is pretty rare. But like funky said, re: your state school, you're going to want to contact them directly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would imagine the courses you are taking will suffice. Med schools will see courses with names that indicate they are genetics courses. It doesn't have to be your school's standard genetics course.

Uh...yeah, they do.

UWSOM app requirements, just updated this year (From their web page):
"Chemistry and Biology:
6 semesters or 9 quarters. The subject matter in these courses must include general chemistry, general biology, biochemistry, molecular genetics, and cell biology/cell physiology."

Is this sort of like asking "How many wheels does an 18-wheeler have?"? Take a class with "genetics" in the title, and as long as it isn't "Literature of Genetics" or "The History of Genetics in Medieval Europe," you'll be fine.

something tells me 'genetics' would fill the void.

(i didnt read your post, i just couldnt resist the smart*ss answer :p)

I would go out on a limb and say that Recombinant DNA is a genetics course. I am curious though as to how you plan on taking this course without having taken the basic genetics course. It would seem odd that the Recombinant class does not require the basic genetics class as a pre-req to itself. I only ask because I took a Recombinant DNA Laboratory, and basic genetics was required and needed to understand all of the techniques and applications.

Uh...yeah, they do.

UWSOM app requirements, just updated this year (From their web page):
"Chemistry and Biology:
6 semesters or 9 quarters. The subject matter in these courses must include general chemistry, general biology, biochemistry, molecular genetics, and cell biology/cell physiology."

Well then it sounds like you need to take a genetics course.