What constitutes the GPA 'downward trend'

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diirez

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How severe of a tend does it have to be to be a problem?

From what I've heard, a GPA downward trend at all can be a kiss of death, while others say as long as you are still above the cutoff point you will be fine.

I'm in my junior year currently and it's looking like I have a downward trend, but I am still maintaining >3.5 GPA each semester with a just under 3.80 cumulative GPA.

Would this GPA tend be the kiss of death:

cGPA: 3.77 and psychology GPA: 3.90

Members don't see this ad.

If your GPA stays where it's at, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Also, if your GRE scores end up being good, I definitely wouldn't worry.

I'd also suggest not worrying too much. If you have a solid application, inclusive of GPA and all other components, an interview offer is your best indication of whether they are interested. I remember applying to lots of schools and interviewing at way too many to remember. Not a single one looked at a (or at least mentioned) a trend, rather, just the GPA as it stands as a single data point supporting the strength of the application. The sense I got from all these programs was that they cared more about the application as a complete package, rather than caring about any single aspect of it as a make or break kind of thing.

Interviews in my mind make the difference...one mentor told me that generally, all interviewed candidates are good on paper, and the interview was more to see "can we work with this person?", weed out the oddballs, etc. I am sure that's common knowledge, but I think most applicants benefit from hearing it at least once in their lifetime.

One technique I have found useful is at the end of the interview when the "anything you want to ask us" question comes up, is to openly ask if there are any portion(s) of my application that give the program pause to offer admission, so we could address it in a dialogue. I tell my students who apply for graduate programs to be forearmed to address any perceived issues with the application package, so that you are ready to discuss them if they come up, as opposed to going in not knowing what to say and hoping that it doesn't come up. In opening the floor up to it by blatantly asking, it allows me to lay all the cards on the table, whether they document my responses or not, and at the very least show the program that I am conscientious and self-reflective enough to recognize my own concerns and be open to conversation.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One technique I have found useful is at the end of the interview when the "anything you want to ask us" question comes up, is to openly ask if there are any portion(s) of my application that give the program pause to offer admission, so we could address it in a dialogue. I tell my students who apply for graduate programs to be forearmed to address any perceived issues with the application package, so that you are ready to discuss them if they come up, as opposed to going in not knowing what to say and hoping that it doesn't come up. In opening the floor up to it by blatantly asking, it allows me to lay all the cards on the table, whether they document my responses or not, and at the very least show the program that I am conscientious and self-reflective enough to recognize my own concerns and be open to conversation.
This is EXCELLENT advice.

How severe of a tend does it have to be to be a problem?

From what I've heard, a GPA downward trend at all can be a kiss of death, while others say as long as you are still above the cutoff point you will be fine.

I'm in my junior year currently and it's looking like I have a downward trend, but I am still maintaining >3.5 GPA each semester with a just under 3.80 cumulative GPA.

Would this GPA tend be the kiss of death:

cGPA: 3.77 and psychology GPA: 3.90
I haven't put the numbers through statistical analysis, but I am not seeing a trend. Kiss of death would be more like 4.0...3.5...3.0..2.5...

I'd also suggest not worrying too much. If you have a solid application, inclusive of GPA and all other components, an interview offer is your best indication of whether they are interested. I remember applying to lots of schools and interviewing at way too many to remember. Not a single one looked at a (or at least mentioned) a trend, rather, just the GPA as it stands as a single data point supporting the strength of the application. The sense I got from all these programs was that they cared more about the application as a complete package, rather than caring about any single aspect of it as a make or break kind of thing.

Interviews in my mind make the difference...one mentor told me that generally, all interviewed candidates are good on paper, and the interview was more to see "can we work with this person?", weed out the oddballs, etc. I am sure that's common knowledge, but I think most applicants benefit from hearing it at least once in their lifetime.

I do this during job interviews as well.