what could be going on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

md2010???

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently got an interview from a pretty competitive school in NYC, ~1 month after being complete, which had me feeling pretty good. But up to date, I have also been either rejected or put on hold by all my NY state schools (and I am a NY state resident). Any input as to why this could be?? I can't make heads or tails of it...

Members don't see this ad.

There's not really any way to tell without more information. How are your grades, MCAT, ECs, etc.? How did the interviews go? Without knowing any of this, there's no way to tell you what's going on...

I have nothing helpful to add, but I just want to say, ME TOO!!! Not those specific schools, but I've interviewed/ will interview at schools that seem much more competitive, at least when looking at their numbers, and heard not a word from what seem to be less selective schools. If I knew it was going to be like this, I would have applied to many more needle-in-the-haystack schools and saved money on all my "safety" (I know there is no such thing as a safety school, don't flame me, I just mean schools where I was at or above the median for their matriculants in both gpa and mcat) schools.

What is going on?!

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I don't understand what's so confusing about getting rejected from "lower-tier" schools when your stats are way above their averages... Everyone and their mother applies to lower-tier schools, both those who legitimately don't have a good chance of getting in elsewhere and those looking for what's close to a safety. The schools have to weed people out, and through their years of experience, I'm sure they've learned to tell who's applying to them who will almost definitely get in someplace else and not go to their school. Therefore, if you look like too good of an applicant (and you're clearly just applying as a safety, not like you have family at the school or something), they're not going to waste their time on you. It's a compliment, kinda. Stop focusing on these rejections and focus on the interviews at the good places!

volcanicglass said:
I guess I don't understand what's so confusing about getting rejected from "lower-tier" schools when your stats are way above their averages... Everyone and their mother applies to lower-tier schools, both those who legitimately don't have a good chance of getting in elsewhere and those looking for what's close to a safety. The schools have to weed people out, and through their years of experience, I'm sure they've learned to tell who's applying to them who will almost definitely get in someplace else and not go to their school. Therefore, if you look like too good of an applicant (and you're clearly just applying as a safety, not like you have family at the school or something), they're not going to waste their time on you. It's a compliment, kinda. Stop focusing on these rejections and focus on the interviews at the good places!

I would also add that possibly sometimes deans of admissions within the same state know and talk to each other.

volcanicglass said:

Yes, agreed. When I went to a state school for an interview in Sept, a person in the admissions office told our group that in their experience, people interviewing this early are strong candidates and will probably get multiple offers. Therefore, if you get a waitlist, don't worry, there will be a lot of movement.

Also, when I interviewed, I definitely felt they wondered if this was just my "safety school". Also, some student tour guides asked what I was doing there (when it wasn't my state).

I did have a reason for applying there, and during the interview they really tried to probe my motivation for going there. At the end, the interviewer said he was impressed by my credentials (I took this to mean, "I don't know if you'll come here"). I felt they wouldn't give an acceptance if you don't matriculate. So I sent them a letter telling them I really liked the school and people and had considered the living and social arrangements.

If you were them, you wouldn't want to waste your time interviewing 200 people who you know are going to turn down your offer and them scramble to fill the class, right?