What counts as biology classes for Allopathic schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Dr. Josh

Most schools require a year of lab bio. What if I have a semester each of general bio (1 lab), cell bio and genetics(+lab), microbio (+lab but it only transferred as 2 credits)? Does this fulfill the bio requirement?

Members don't see this ad.

no, you need a year of general bio with lab, my school offered only 2/3 of of general lab (quarter system) the other 3rd had to be something else such as physiology or micro

no, you need a year of general bio with lab, my school offered only 2/3 of of general lab (quarter system) the other 3rd had to be something else such as physiology or micro

So I have to make up this requirement before i can apply? :eek: That totally sucks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know.. my school doesn't even have a general bio class.. your own pre-med advisor would know.

So I have to make up this requirement before i can apply? :eek: That totally sucks!

No, you can apply but your acceptance is contingent on the fact that you will complete the requirements. Most people take general bio before applying because it is necessary to learn it for the MCAT.

Also, you don't need general bio if you placed out with AP credits. If you're school won't give you credit to retake general Biology and the medical school does not take AP credits you can take a year of upper level biology to replace fulfill that requirement. They'd have to be on the cell and molecular/zoology tract though.

Most schools require a year of lab bio. What if I have a semester each of general bio, cell bio and genetics (all 4 lab courses)? Does this fulfill the bio requirement?

I did not take Intro Bio II. I took Intro Bio I w/lab, Genetics, and Cell Biology w/lab (the last 2 were 200 level classes). I have not been accepted yet (one more interview..) but so far I have not had any problems with not fulfilling pre-reqs. My advisor told me Bio I w/lab and Cell Bio w/lab would fullfill the 1 year of bio lab requirement...

Two semesters of upper div bio w/ lab should be fine. I've seen all kinds of mixing and matching to get the bio requirement done. My friend took two upper div non-lab bio courses and then 2 semesters of intro bio lab (the lab was separate from the lecture course) and so far has interviews to Harvard, Upenn, among others.