What counts as general bio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khrisskhoras

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i need to take gen bio for some of the medical schools im interested in and the college I plan on taking it at has 3 semester-long courses named "principles of biology". One is a cell and molecular, one is plant and the last is animal bio. They aren't pre-reqs of one another. Which two should I take to satisfy the one year requirement? Can I just save myself the torture and not take the plant bio course. cuz I cant stand that crap.

Members don't see this ad.

One thing to watch out for is whether it's designated for science majors/pre-professional students. Many schools offer alternative introductory science courses for non-science or nursing majors.

Members don't see this ad :)
All three are called "principles of biology" and they are each 1 semester. They all are designed for bio majors.

The names are "principles of cell", "principles of plant bio" and "priniciples of animal bio." I just wanna know if I need to take all 3 to satify the gen bio or not. Is the plant bio necessary?

Ask your school's premed advisors, as the answer to this depends entirely on your school. For example, at my schools intro bio consists of 4 courses but ochem lab is only 2 courses; nonetheless, both are equivalent to '1 year.'

You probably have to do all 3. They will make you learn stupid irrelevant **** about plant xylems and worm guts, and it will suck, but thats just part of the game.

Some med schools require a semester of general biology and then a semester of advanced biology. Review the requirements of the med schools you plan to apply.

If you can, I would only take the Cell Bio and instead of Animal Bio I would maybe take a more advanced physiology course.

We don't exactly have an intro bio sequence at my school. I mean, we sort of do, but one is Genetics & Cell Bio, and the other is Ecology & Evolution. Most pre-meds skip the E&E course and take an advanced genetics class instead. That's my plan. Hopefully that's okay with admissions committees also! :thumbup:

So i need to take gen bio for some of the medical schools im interested in and the college I plan on taking it at has 3 semester-long courses named "principles of biology". One is a cell and molecular, one is plant and the last is animal bio. They aren't pre-reqs of one another. Which two should I take to satisfy the one year requirement? Can I just save myself the torture and not take the plant bio course. cuz I cant stand that crap.

Since most med schools want one year of biology, if all three are intended for bio majors, you could probably get away with not taking the plant bio. Your pre med advisor may or may not have any idea what med schools are looking for, so don't necessarily trust him or her. Check with a few schools you are interested in and see what they say.

If you can, I would only take the Cell Bio and instead of Animal Bio I would maybe take a more advanced physiology course.

I already took physio, and all the other pre-reqs. I had AP bio for undergrad credit so I never took gen bio at my uni. Now i might have to take it over so im planning for that.

I already took physio, and all the other pre-reqs. I had AP bio for undergrad credit so I never took gen bio at my uni. Now i might have to take it over so im planning for that.

Why do you think you have to take it over? That is, of course, an option, but I had AP credit for Bio and am simply taking 1 year of advanced bio lecture and lab. The consensus I've gotten seems to be that this is at least accepted if not preferred to retaking gen Bio.

They all are designed for bio majors.
Im having the same issue at my CC. For my DTA/MRP in Bio, i have to take all three and i cant figure out if they satisy med schools bio requirement or if I'll have to take it at university.