What counts as hours for veterinary experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had an internship at the Penn Vet Working Dog center this past summer, and while I was heavily involved with the training of the dogs, I was also involved in a lot of data collection because everything the dogs did was recorded. Similar to your experience, I would record how long a dog took to search for a person/scent, if the dog would give any false indications, their behaviors, and so much more! Absolutely everything was recorded on data sheets.
Hmmmmm that’s tricky. If it was part of a research study that’s going to be published about the dogs, then it’s research experience. Otherwise it’s animal experience. If the data is used for internal purposes to make sure that the dogs are achieving the tasks they’re supposed to achieve, then I’d list it as animal experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hmmmmm that’s tricky. If it was part of a research study that’s going to be published about the dogs, then it’s research experience. Otherwise it’s animal experience. If the data is used for internal purposes to make sure that the dogs are achieving the tasks they’re supposed to achieve, then I’d list it as animal experience.
Yup, makes sense! I listed it as animal experience on my application. Thanks!

I had an internship at the Penn Vet Working Dog center this past summer, and while I was heavily involved with the training of the dogs, I was also involved in a lot of data collection because everything the dogs did was recorded. Similar to your experience, I would record how long a dog took to search for a person/scent, if the dog would give any false indications, their behaviors, and so much more! Absolutely everything was recorded on data sheets.

I guess I wonder if it counts because I wasn't directly involved with the analysis of the data.

I would put it and if a school doesn’t recognize it as research then I’m sure they will just recategorize it as animal experience or something else. I helped with a long study about tortoises that started way way before my internship and is likely still in progress, so I also wasn’t involved in any analysis nor do I completely know what was being studied. I put the hours I spent tracking the tortoises and observing them as research data collection because that’s what the University of Minnesota told me to do!

Reactions: 1 user
I would put it and if a school doesn’t recognize it as research then I’m sure they will just recategorize it as animal experience or something else. I helped with a long study about tortoises that started way way before my internship and is likely still in progress, so I also wasn’t involved in any analysis nor do I completely know what was being studied. I put the hours I spent tracking the tortoises and observing them as research data collection because that’s what the University of Minnesota told me to do!

That’s awesome! Perhaps I’ll contact the schools individually and see what they recommend!