What counts as work experience in the charting outcomes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orestis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I ve been going through the charting outcomes in the match of the last few years. What does work experience means exactly? If for example it says the average of work experience for internal medicine was 2,9(just an example, I dont remember the values) what does it really mean? That the people that matched had on average of 2,9 years of work experience? 2,9 weeks? 2,9 different jobs?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

oh ok... and how do they count each job? I mean one person can be working for 4 years in just one job and another person 3 different jobs in 2 years. Shouldn't the work experience correlates with the duration of it too?

Also considering the fact that I am going to be an IMG how do I get that work experience? I was teacher assistant for 2 years and did 4 years research(while still in uni) do they count as work experience? Do my rotations during the 6th year of uni count as well?

I

oh ok... and how do they count each job? I mean one person can be working for 4 years in just one job and another person 3 different jobs in 2 years. Shouldn't the work experience correlates with the duration of it too?

Also considering the fact that I am going to be an IMG how do I get that work experience? I was teacher assistant for 2 years and did 4 years research(while still in uni) do they count as work experience? Do my rotations during the 6th year of uni count as well?

I
Any kind of job. I don't think PDs will care at all if you've held one job or ten jobs to be honest.

I am just getting stressed because even IMG who did not much had 2-3 in work experience. So in general from all the IMGs(those who matches and those who did not) the average of work experience is high... I just don't get the logic of it and dunno how important it is. I understand that usmle scores and clinical experience in USA are the most important, then research experience but dunno what is going on about volunteer and work experience...