What courses are counted in AMCAS Science GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

entdreams47

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there have been many threads on this - but at my undergrad, courses such as Human Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology, Nutrition I and II, etc. were only offered through the nursing department (NURS) in the title. The course descriptions are very similar if not identical to the course descriptions of these courses at the postbacc I'm currently enrolled in. I would really hate to have to retake them seeing as I did pretty well in them. But is there no shot these will be counted towards my science GPA since they have the "NURS" prefix? Any help/input would be appreciated. Feeling kind of annoyed. :/

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the link. However, I saw in another thread that they do it based on classification of CONTENT. For example, say BIO480 (Bioethics) would be considered a philosophy course. So I'm just really confused lol.
You may contact AMCAS directly, but generally speaking, nursing courses are not BCPM.

may I try to expand

1) you base the BCPM on the content
2) you can classify the NURS courses as BCPM
3) when AMCAS veifies they will consider the content as well as nursing code via course catalog.
4) you mentioned retaking; are you concerned with a required prereq at a school? that is not related to AMCAS BCPM and nursing courses may not be accepted by a medical school.

No none of the schools I have looked at REQUIRE them per say, I just was hoping they would help boost my science GPA a bit. Does AMCAS make you send them anything other than the title of the course?

I know there have been many threads on this - but at my undergrad, courses such as Human Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology, Nutrition I and II, etc. were only offered through the nursing department (NURS) in the title. The course descriptions are very similar if not identical to the course descriptions of these courses at the postbacc I'm currently enrolled in. I would really hate to have to retake them seeing as I did pretty well in them. But is there no shot these will be counted towards my science GPA since they have the "NURS" prefix? Any help/input would be appreciated. Feeling kind of annoyed. :/
I had a similar situation.. I took Intro to Physiology in the Nutrition dept. at my school (so it had a NUTR prefix).. Nutrition falls under Health Sciences on their guide but Physiology falls under Biology. I classified it as Biology, they accepted it, and it was included in my BCPM.

Reactions: 1 user
may I try to expand

1) you base the BCPM on the content
2) you can classify the NURS courses as BCPM
3) when AMCAS veifies they will consider the content as well as nursing code via course catalog.
4) you mentioned retaking; are you concerned with a required prereq at a school? that is not related to AMCAS BCPM and nursing courses may not be accepted by a medical school.

How do we classify something as BCPM? The only options I see are the subject options.

BCPM = BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY, PHYSICS, MATH

Ok, so health sciences wouldn't count? If i'm not sure about if a class is biology or health sciences and choose biology they just fix it, right? My application doesn't get returned? I watched the youtube video from them about it and it seemed like they just fix it themselves, but just trying to make sure.

Last edited: