What courses are you planning to take as a non-traditional student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marie19393

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to start my pre dental requirements in 2017. Below is what I'm planning to take. Do you think is a good schedule? What do you advice to change? I want to know how was your game plan too.

First year:
Semester 1: BIO 1, Physics 1, Chem 1
Semester 2: Bio 2, Physics 2, Chem 2

Second year:
Orgo 1, Micro, Anatomy and Physiology 1
Orgo 2, Biochemistry, Anatomy and Physiology2

Note: Physics is algebra based.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
you have to do the legwork and see what other course requirements specific schools you want to attend require. There are usually some combination of math (i.e. calculus and statistics) and/or biochem requirements as well as bio, gen chem and physics. Don't know what your degree is, so you might have the maths already.

you have to do the legwork and see what other course requirements specific schools you want to attend require. There are usually some combination of math (i.e. calculus and statistics) and/or biochem requirements as well as bio, gen chem and physics. Don't know what your degree is, so you might have the maths already.

Yes, I have the math requirements: pre algebra 1 and 2, biostatistics and statistics. I want to know if my plan is realistic or too crazy? How did you organize your pre med years?

Members don't see this ad :)
A&P are not prerequisites and are usually lower division courses gear towards nursing students. You need to take the separate upper division courses in Anatomy and Physiology for pre-meds. A lot of medical schools recommend these courses and others...

Yes, I have the math requirements: pre algebra 1 and 2, biostatistics and statistics. I want to know if my plan is realistic or too crazy? How did you organize your pre med years?
I'm just following the degree requirements. Biology (Developmental & Genetics track). I'm non-trad but not post-bacc.

A&P are not prerequisites and are usually lower division courses gear towards nursing students. You need to take the separate upper division courses in Anatomy and Physiology for pre-meds. A lot of medical schools recommend these courses and others...

This are for pre meds students in the school I'm planning to attend. They are just integrated in the same course.
Dental schools requirements are: biology 1-2, chemistry 1-2, organic chemistry 1-2, physics 1-2. Most schools also ask for biochemistry.

I want to take upper division courses in anatomy, physiology, microbiolgy to strength my application.

But I'm still going to check what you told me because now I'm worried.

Last edited:
Was going to reply, then noticed you post says pre-dental. Have you tried posting in the Dental forums? You'll probably get better advice there.

Reactions: 1 user
whoops my bad...disregard what I said.

Was going to reply, then noticed you post says pre-dental. Have you tried posting in the Dental forums? You'll probably get better advice there.

No, but I'm going to try right know. Thank you very much for both of your responses. Good luck as well!