What courses might be good for a pod applicant to have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biogirl215

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Besides the required core, what courses would be for a pod applicant to have? I'm planning out my next three years of school to see what I can fit in my schedule, and I'm wondering if you guys (and gals) had any advice on courses that might be helpful during the admission process and/or pod school itself. My human bio major should give me course work in Stats (though that's AP credit for me, so I'm not sure how/if they'll look at it), microbiology, antamony and physiology (basic and medical), vertebrae design, general development, and basic physics. What other classes would be good? Virology? Psych (abnormal? developmental?)? Bioinfometrics? Medical terminology? Biochemistry? Anything else? Anything you WOULDN'T recommend taking?

Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

In hindsight I'd say take a few business classes and as much liberal arts as you can fit in!

Biochemistry, physiology and anatomy are good classes. You can also take other non-science classes to broaden your views like humanities, ethnic studies, etc if you lack in that department.

Members don't see this ad :)
During my interviews, I found that I spent more time talking about classes I really enjoyed (philosophy, spanish) than classes I thought I should take (eg anatomy/phys, biochem, etc). The interviewers like to know that you are doing what you want, and not what you think you should: qualities of a good applicant.

Biochem, physio, cell bio, and anatomy are useful in terms of just passing your pod-level classes and getting a higher GPA. That's obviously goal #1 before you worry about anything else...

Psych, interpersonal communication, and other lib-eds are useful in terms of dealing with patients on a human level.

Accounting, management, finance, and microecon are useful if you want to run your own practice/business.

Stats is great for research.