What couses should I take, and in what order should I take them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pete9698

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a freshmen at the University of Pittsburgh,and I am not sure in what order I should take the required courses for medical school. This fall I took Chem 1 and Bio 1 and did really well in bio 1, But I got a C in Chem 1. I plan on retaking Chem 1 next fall but I am worried that I will have to take it with another really challenging class. Any advice/experiances on what order premed courses should be taken would be apreciated.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

English 101....

just kidding, I'm not the SDN police. I took general chem my freshman year, organic and bio concurrently my sophomore year, and physics the summer between sophomore and junior years. But that's just the order I took it in; I'm sure others will differ. As long as you get in these required courses, you'll be fine. Also, it'd be helpful if you complete organic and physics prior to taking the MCAT. Also, biochemistry is helpful.

I don't recommend taking two science courses frosh year, cuz you need time to adjust. I took chem first year, bio and physics sophomore year, and orgo over the summer at my same school (Brandeis Univesity), which I highly recommend. Then junior year I started two completely different majors and took my MCAT course (only 3 classes spring semester). My plan worked well, except I didn't learn enough at the beginning so I had trouble on the mcat. I also recommend taking human phys, cuz I felt like I was at a disadvantage among my MCATing peers.

Members don't see this ad :)
My little Columbia plug:
<a href="http://www.columbia.edu/cu/gs/postbacc/planner.html" target="_blank">http://www.columbia.edu/cu/gs/postbacc/planner.html</a>
follow the link to program planning. it does a nice job of outlining what to take, when and why.
also suggests things to spruce up your application - research, clinical experience, as well as recommendations, MCATs - the whole spiel.
its worth a look

In all honesty, if you can do well in all your classes from now on, there really isn't even a need to take Chem I over. I think a lot of people on this board can vouch that many times people slip up a little first semester (or at some other point). As long as you move on with good grades from this point (which you'd want to do anyway!!), you won't have a probablem getting into med school. Admissions committes understand and normally won't hold it against you. I wouldn't worry about it and just move on :) !!

My suggestion would be to finish up Chem II and Bio II this year. Take Organic I and II next year. (you wouldn't want to take Gen Chem with orgo anyway :) As far as physics you can take it whenever you feel compfortable, just finish before you take the MCAT. I took Physics I Spring of sophomore year and Physics II Fall of Junior year. Well hope that helps!

I agree with megkudos completely. Only retake a class when you fail it. Otherwise, move on and excel in your courses. Good luck!

I agree that you don't need to retake a class you got a C in, I have a friend that had a 2.6 first semester frosh year and he has brought it up to around a 3.4 and he has gotten in to med school...he has lots of EC's and experience though too. You have plenty of time to improve, but don't wait until the last min...start volunteering in a hospital or shadowing a doctor this summer so you find out what it is like!

BTW I took gen bio and chem Frosh year, orgo soph, and physics junior. I'm a bio major though so I've take a ton of other bio classes too...if you have room I really enjoyed and learned a lot from my histology and physiology classes (they really helped me for the MCAT, and I've heard they make MS1 a lot easier since you aren't looking at that stuff for the first time) I took them both first junior year, and of course Biochem...I didn't really enjoy that but I'm hoping it will help me out for next year.