What DAT score will guarantee going to dental school?

Started by 88Kieys
Tags Tags
dat score
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

88Kieys

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, let's just create a hypothetical scenario. (This is NOT ME Let's just assume something)

Let's say you have your average Joe dental applicant. He has about a 3.6 GPA, he does some service and has the average job shadowing time, ect. What kind of DAT score could a person like this get but still have a nearly complete acceptance to any school he applied to? I understand you have to go through interviews and people must like you; but, do you think there is a score a person could get that could get them in almost anywhere.
What do you guys think?
Getting a AA of 20....or 24.....what about 26?
 
no guarantees in life 🙂 BUT if you get a 22. i think you should get in. One of my friends got late acceptance with a 3.9 GPA, 20 DAT and lots of leadership, volunteer etc...
Take this with a grain of salt though, because there are no guarantees.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What about if your sGPA is 3.2 and the school you are applying to has an avg acceptance for those with sGPA of 3.48? I m studying hard for the DAT so I could make up for the GPA.
 
Even if you have a 30AA, if you interview poorly or have a major red flag on your application (criminal misconduct, etc.), you're not going to get in.

Nothing is guaranteed.
I agree Incis0r! Perfect response. May I add a weak personal statement is another reason students don't even get the interview. Many things are considered.
 
@DentalHygenius86 Say what? What school did their acceptance gain a 14 into? I took the DAT a couple months ago and have to retake it due to getting a low score, I'm just wondering how a 14 got them accepted into dental school
 
Well I was your average student, had a 3.6 overall gpa and met most of the other criteria. My bcp gpa was strong though, being a 3.7+. My DAT score was a AA 23. TS was 24 with a 29 in the ochem section. I applied later in the cycle but still received interview invites from 5 schools and was rejected by 2. I only interviewed at two schools and was accepted in January at my top choice school. There is a lot that plays into your application and I don't think that it was only my DAT that got me into school. Personal statement and letters of recommendations can benefit you as well.

Also, there is never a guarantee that you will get in with a certain DAT score. I know that was said already but I wanted to reiterate that.
 
Okay, let's just create a hypothetical scenario. (This is NOT ME Let's just assume something)

Let's say you have your average Joe dental applicant. He has about a 3.6 GPA, he does some service and has the average job shadowing time, ect. What kind of DAT score could a person like this get but still have a nearly complete acceptance to any school he applied to? I understand you have to go through interviews and people must like you; but, do you think there is a score a person could get that could get them in almost anywhere.
What do you guys think?
Getting a AA of 20....or 24.....what about 26?

Not a 20. I had an AA of 20, a solid GPA, and connections with members of the Board + donors and also the best recommendations that one could hope for. Ended up getting waitlisted, which eventually turned into a "no." However, my best friend got into OU with lower DAT, lower GPA, etc than me, so nothing is absolute. But I would say a score of 21+ would set you up well.