What defines a superstar?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WPmed0209

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see this all over the place but are we just talking about stats or does it mean much more than that?

Members don't see this ad.

Very high GPA/MCAT; EC's >= research w/ pubs, signf. clinical exp, sincere demonstration of passion or inventiveness; being a generally nice person; etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Lizzy M >76. pubs, interesting ECs. Generally exceptional.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Specifically, 3.85+, 516+, independent project(s), pub(s), posters, creative experiences, amazing leadership, clinical >400, shadowing >100, then the random stuff like semi-finalist or finalist for the Rhodes Scholarship, Marshall scholar, etc.

Everyone will have a slightly different definition, but the core of it is a high GPA, high MCAT, and outstanding research experience.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

tbh i would say its anyone with highly competitive stats for the top schools LizzyM > 75
who also has competitive "Standard ECS" for medical school

but ALSO has substantial/significant/noteworthy achievement in something (anything). taking their passion to the highest level possible: e.g. olympic athlete, starting a business, publication in Nature, opening a shelter etc.

Reactions: 1 users
tbh i would say its anyone with highly competitive stats for the top schools LizzyM > 75

but ALSO has substantial/significant/noteworthy achievement in something (anything). taking their passion to the highest level possible: e.g. olympic athlete, starting a business, publication in Nature, opening a shelter etc.

This is actually a really nice outline!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This is me when I realize I will never be Superstar.
aem4f.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A superstar applicant is one that is highly desirable for most, if not all MD classes. This is because they not only have an extremely high probability of being a good doctor, they have obvious signs of being a future leader in healthcare or bring additional fame/fortune to the schools that they end up going to. In my experience, these students tend to have a high MCAT and an exceptional level of productivity outside of the classroom. GPA is always reasonable, but certainly not always 3.9+.

I have two advises this cycle that I would put into this category. Both have acceptances at this point. Both have interview invites at virtually every top 20 school they applied to. Both have schools already chasing after them. Neither have over a 3.8 GPA, but if given the option, no matter what we are doing, surgery, research, zombie apocalypse, etc I want them on my team. Their applications are well crafted, but that is more a reflection of having a lot to sell rather than spending a lot of time buffing.

Reactions: 8 users
Superstar requirements:
-Having strong quads and calves to go with your huge biceps and pectoral muscles. This allows AdComs to reason that if you don't skip leg day, you won't skip out on a difficult challenge.
-Your Tinder match-rate approximates 100%. If you can rake in the ladies, logic follows that grabbing a dermatology match shouldn't be a problem.
-Having an average of 25 Likes per post on any SDN sub-forum. This provides cogent evidence that you are an incredibly charismatic and humorous individual capable of being accepted by your medical peers.
-Having the ability to tutor a Caribbean applicant and transform them into a top-tier US candidate. Part of being a competent physician involves being able to transfer accurate information onto others.

Hope this was helpful.

Reactions: 11 users
The n's a limited, of of the SDNers who have gotten into top schools, they have GPAs > 3.7, MCATs > 34-35 on the old exam, and hundreds of hours in ECs, a few even > 1000. Some of the latter, for patient contact experience, came from having clinical employment. Others have non-clinical experience in service, especially to those in need. They tend to have some things out of the ordinary. No, they didn't have multiple Cell papers or a Nobel Peace prize, but it could be something like writing public policy papers, or working with the developmentally disabled or the dying.

But a few have served in the Peace Corps, the military, TFA, Americorps. NONE went on overseas medical missions, AFAIK. Their research productivity was pretty good....meaning, they had something to show for their research efforts.

They also loved what they did. They definitely did NOT have a checkbox mentality.

I see this all over the place but are we just talking about stats or does it mean much more than that?

EDIT: mad jack facetiously referred to URMs, and from the last cycle, but again, at least from what some successful SDNers have shared with me, some top med schools are more and more treating GBLT applicants as URM.

Thanks 'dawg! (horrible attempt at a pun intended).

Neither have over a 3.8 GPA, but if given the option, no matter what we are doing, surgery, research, zombie apocalypse, etc I want them on my team.
For anyone who's actually interested in this question though and may have taken a glance at my MDapps, I will say that since matriculation I have not met a single colleague who had an sGPA below mine (3.5) and only one with a similar cGPA (3.7). So if you're really gunning for becoming a "superstar" perhaps a more traditional definition would be 3.8+/3.8+, 98%+ MCAT, at least 1 area outstanding achievement. Outstanding being defined very loosely here, but really a case of "I'll know it when I see it."

They also loved what they did. They definitely did NOT have a checkbox mentality.
I'd propose that these can exist concurrently ;)

"A super star cluster (SSC) is a very massive young open cluster that is thought to be the precursor of a globular cluster.[1] They typically contain a very large number of young, massive stars that ionize a surrounding H II region, similar to the Milky Way Galaxy's so-called "Ultra dense H II regions (UDHIIs)".[2] An SSC's H II region is in turn surrounded by a cocoon of dust. In many cases, the stars and the H II regions will be invisible to optical observations due to high levels of extinction. As a result, the youngest SSCs are best observed in radio and infrared.[3]"

So:be young, ionize your surroundings and have a podcast

Reactions: 5 users
If you did have a Nobel Peace Prize, adcoms would be drooling over you. Think Malala Youzufsai 2.0, American citizen, with a 4.0 from Stanford and a 525 MCAT. Someone like this might get into every top-20 school they applied to.