What did you do after undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FLH1317

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be graduating this spring 09 with a BS in Biology. Because I worked two jobs throughout four years and stayed full time my grades aren't as strong as they could be. I will be graduating with a 2.9 GPA. I think that is too low to apply to med school so I decided to go get my masters in something before I think of going to med school. I have thought about Nursing, Biology, Chemistry, or Neuroscience. Those are just the topics I have strong interest in.

I would like to know if you have gotten your masters and if so what did you get it in?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are really set on medicine, don't graduate. Take another year of classes and get straight As. This is the cleanest way to boost your GPA.

I will be graduating this spring 09 with a BS in Biology. Because I worked two jobs throughout four years and stayed full time my grades aren't as strong as they could be. I will be graduating with a 2.9 GPA. I think that is too low to apply to med school so I decided to go get my masters in something before I think of going to med school. I have thought about Nursing, Biology, Chemistry, or Neuroscience. Those are just the topics I have strong interest in.

I would like to know if you have gotten your masters and if so what did you get it in?

I graduated with a 2.2 GPA (ick!)
A couple of years later I got a Master's in Education. (4.0 GPA)
Now working on med school pre-reqs (and retaking old classes to boost my GPA)

It doesn't matter what you get your Master's in, just make sure it's something you enjoy. While my M.Ed. isn't related to medicine, I'm sure I'll put it to good use in some fashion throughout my career as a physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are really set on medicine, don't graduate. Take another year of classes and get straight As. This is the cleanest way to boost your GPA.

Yes, I really do think it would be better idea if you took more undergrad courses and complete your pre-requisite before you apply to graduate school. From what everyone else is telling me, the schools place more emphasis on your undergrad transcript and they prefer that applicants have at least a 3.0 from their undergrad courses.

Yes, I really do think it would be better idea if you took more undergrad courses and complete your pre-requisite before you apply to graduate school. From what everyone else is telling me, the schools place more emphasis on your undergrad transcript and they prefer that applicants have at least a 3.0 from their undergrad courses.

def stay in undergrad and retake or take some classes. first figure out how many classes you would need to boost your GPA by a point (to see if it is worth it) ..staying an extra semester may help you get some better lORs too.

from what i was told before i applied, a masters is good but doesn't count towards your undergrad GPA. pm quifcomica or mdnjmb (not sure how to spell thier user names--but they are mods and you prob know who they are), they could probably tell you more. A master's looks good, but you don't want to leave UG without a 3.0 at least. and you are close. good luck