What did you make your facebook status when you got your first med school accept

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will not be surprised this year (since I'm suggesting this now) if someone changed a status to

... is taking my talents to [medical school].

If one really is going to Miami for medical school, even better. :)

Yep, I was that guy. "...will be taking his talents to ________ School of Medicine next fall.

I had to. Everyone on my list knows how into basketball I am, and someone would have posted it on my wall if I hadn't. Haha.

Members don't see this ad.

sorta same. my profile was deactivated cuz i was advised to as some adcoms might go on your profile but my cousin and a friend wrote it on their statuses with my name so common friends saw it and congratulated me!!

...Were you not familiar with profile "Privacy" settings?

...Were you not familiar with profile "Privacy" settings?

This. I know of a few friends who deleted their fb to get rid of the possibility of snoopy adcoms, but I just went :shrug: and made mine private. Boom no snooping possible. Honestly though, with the thousands of applications they get these days, do they really have the time to snoop through your photos looking for that bong you used or that alcoholic binge you went on?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't announce anything on fb. I didn't even tell my best friends. They found out when they asked me to go out one day .. and I told them that I had already moved out of town.

It's just not an accomplishment that I think is worthy of announcing to the whole world.

It's just not an accomplishment that I think is worthy of announcing to the whole world.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. Most people are aware that it is extraordinarily difficult to get accepted into a US Medical School. Anyone close to you should feel proud that you achieved this, otherwise I would call into question the sorts of people you associate with.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. Most people are aware that it is extraordinarily difficult to get accepted into a US Medical School. Anyone close to you should feel proud that you achieved this, otherwise I would call into question the sorts of people you associate with.

To make the long story short ... I saw my acceptance as a ticket out of my hometown. So I didn't bother saying goodbye to anyone.

Having grown up in what now seemed like hell on earth (non-supportive parents with a tendency to resort to violence), I was taught that anything I can accomplish in this world would be peanuts for the "smart kids in the best schools."

this thread..."how pompously did you announce to your facebook friends (half of whom don't care, the other half you just wanted to spite) that you got accepted to med school?"

To make the long story short ... I saw my acceptance as a ticket out of my hometown. So I didn't bother saying goodbye to anyone.

Having grown up in what now seemed like hell on earth (non-supportive parents with a tendency to resort to violence), I was taught that anything I can accomplish in this world would be peanuts for the "smart kids in the best schools."

I'm sorry. Well in that case, way to get the hell out of there!:thumbup:

this thread..."how pompously did you announce to your facebook friends (half of whom don't care, the other half you just wanted to spite) that you got accepted to med school?"

Haha true. But I feel like if all my friends and family are going to be mercilessly asking me for medical advice for the rest of my life, the least they can do is listen to me brag about my acceptance.

While for some it may be about bragging rights, at the same time, most people have people in their lives who have supported them in their med school pursuits but who they don't want to take the time to call. Even though I purposely didn't post anything outright about my acceptance (I had two friends applying at the same time and, while we were all supportive of each other, we tried not to discuss interviews and acceptances so we didn't make the others worried), I found there were a lot of people in my life who wanted to celebrate the acceptance with me and who would have been hurt if I didn't feel the need to share it with them.

I made my status "Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" (But not until after I called the important family/friends and told them first.)

Senior year of high school, we were all waiting to get our college e-mail addresses so we could join facebook. Ah, those were the times.
Haha, nice. I was a junior in college, and I joined it within a few weeks or so of it being available at my school. I went to a big school, so it was available pretty soon.

That was when you put in what classes you were in, and it would tell you who else in those classes was on Facebook. Then you would proceed to add all the hot girls to your friend list.

Dang! I forgot about the time you could put classes on FB. Couldn't you also stalk people and see how many minutes ago they last signed in?

I posted a picture of my EMT license on FB when it came in the mail because it felt like a camaraderie kind of thing. I don't know why but I don't feel comfortable talking about med school to people I don't know well.

Members don't see this ad :)
am I the only one without a facebook nowadays? I feel like such a loser :laugh:

This. I know of a few friends who deleted their fb to get rid of the possibility of snoopy adcoms, but I just went :shrug: and made mine private. Boom no snooping possible. Honestly though, with the thousands of applications they get these days, do they really have the time to snoop through your photos looking for that bong you used or that alcoholic binge you went on?
yea i could have gone private but you never know who adcoms know!!!! and I was told by a member of an admissions committee in my state school that he personally goes on fb and looks so some are crazy enough to do so

My status was, and I quote, "ACCEPTED INTO UBC MED CLASS OF 2015!! I'M GOING TO BE A ****ING DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I wasn't very discreet.

I see no reason to be discrete..
I blasted everyone of my acceptances, but my top choice I was something to the means of stating the school name and saying "please excuse me as I go run outside screaming".

Few things deserve bragging rights, this is most definitely one of them.

I was definitely not subtle. But I didn't feel I really needed to be, as not one of my 200+ friends was applying to med school that cycle (oh, the joy of being a non-trad!). It was something like...
I GOT ACCEPTED TO WASH U. OMG. A;LSKDFJASLDF *happyhappyhappyhappy* :D :D :D :D :D

I don't understand why it needs to be as subtle as possible so that you don't make others jealous? :confused: This is your accomplishment. You have waited so long for this to happen that if someone can update their status about getting engaged, what they ate for breakfast, etc... you have every right to post a "I GOT INTO MED SCHOOL AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH". :laugh:

I disagree with others have said on here as getting into med school is a big accomplishment.

I will change "X is in a relationship Y" to "X is in a relationship to name_of_med_school."

am I the only one without a facebook nowadays? I feel like such a loser :laugh:

I can't say that I don't have a facebook, cause I made one back in 2005 with my brand new .edu email address, but I never us it anymore. I haven't uploaded pictures, updated statuses, or posted anything in years.

A year ago my wife (who changed my relationship status to married herself when we got married) started getting prompts on her FB to "reconnect" with me and invite me back and stuff. :laugh:

"Holy white coat, Batman!! Momma's gonna be a doctor!!! Accepted!!!!"

I told everyone close to me first though.

I wish I would have put that...hahaha

However, I said...."I am officially going to MEDICAL SCHOOL! THANK YOU LORD!"

I'm planning on pulling a fast one. I've been keeping my med goals pretty low key; on a need-to-know basis. Instead of announcing anything I changed my "education section" to read that I am entering a Phd program for Asian American Studies.

I'm not sure if I'll continue this game at the 10 year reunion or reveal the deal then.

It drives me bonkers when people post anything about med school on their facebook or gchat status. Your facebook friends who are applying in the same cycle might not be as fortunate as you with acceptances.

So? Your FB friends may also not be engaged or may not be able to get pregnant or may not be able to afford a honeymoon or may flunk out of college or may not be able to get a dog. Should you never post anything on FB for fear that someone else can't have it/do it?

I see this sentiment frequently here. Is this really that common? People in high school trashing each other? I mean, even if I thought that about someone (which I never had a reason to), why would I ever say that to someone?

Are you serious? Try googling Phoebe Prince sometime.

I think that I'll put, "I'm going to be a noctor!!!!" :laugh:

As a non-trad who's been at his job for many moons: "there's nothing that brings home the reality of the career change you're planning than an email saying 'The admissions committee at the Medical College of Wisconsin is pleased to offer you a space in the entering class of 2011.'"

Now that I'm several months removed from that, I can tell you that it's not the acceptance letter but rather the impending loss of disposable income that brings it home. :(

I got a kick out of this thread...what will I say a year from now??? Well only God and destiny can tell:/

Congratz all you people that got in though:)

I believe I said, "WHOA, I'M GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!! I JUST GOT ACCEPTED INTO UCI MEDICAL SCHOOL!!! :)"

I wasn't bashful at all :). I feel like this something I should be able to brag about! I worked my butt off to get to this point and I'm proud :D.

I will not be surprised this year (since I'm suggesting this now) if someone changed a status to

... is taking my talents to [medical school].

If one really is going to Miami for medical school, even better. :)
It is my dream to do this, excellent idea.

I think you should be able to rub it into all those people in highschool who thought you would never amount to anything.

why? 10 year reunion rolls by and youll probably be a lowly intern, loaded with debt, making $50k, while working 80 hour weeks.... :laugh:

hopefully teh 20 year reunion will be better :xf:

I think you should announce it, but don't be too pompous. Getting accepted should be a time for celebration. Your family/friends should be happy you got in.

I'm planning on pulling a fast one. I've been keeping my med goals pretty low key; on a need-to-know basis. Instead of announcing anything I changed my "education section" to read that I am entering a Phd program for Asian American Studies.

I'm not sure if I'll continue this game at the 10 year reunion or reveal the deal then.

Oh my god, this is amazing. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I see this sentiment frequently here. Is this really that common? People in high school trashing each other? I mean, even if I thought that about someone (which I never had a reason to), why would I ever say that to someone?

I was one of those people who other people thought would never amount to anything.

I'm going to ENJOY EVERY GODDAMN SECOND OF PROVING THEM WRONG.