What did you write for the "list any additional information" optional secondary?

LuluLovesMe

Membership Revoked
Removed
Nov 5, 2014
Status
Medical Student
What is appropriate to put here?

Writing a "why our school" paragraph if it wasn't already a secondary question?

Talking a bit about myself and my hobbies?

Explaining poor grades if not prompted by any previous question?

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student

Hospitalized

5+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Leaving it blank is preferable to the copious cliche-ridden, self-serving, egotistical, equine-feces laden drivel that is often added out of an neurotic OCD fear of empty space.
I wasn't saying that. I'm saying that's an open spot for an applicant to put in potential talking points for an interview. Doesn't even need to relate to medicine.

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
What is appropriate to put here?
Anything of substance that you feel the adcom should know about you in order to make an informed evaluation of you as a candidate to medical school

Writing a "why our school" paragraph if it wasn't already a secondary question?
If you have strong, specific reasons that make it so such as school's mission, certain departmental reputation or institute, specific program, location or other.

Talking a bit about myself and my hobbies?
If you have something of consequence and depth that may add to the picture of yourself

Explaining poor grades if not prompted by any previous question?
This is tricky unless it was time-limited (ie a single semester ) and externally related (such as your own illness or family issue)

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
I wasn't saying that. I'm saying that's an open spot for an applicant to put in potential talking points for an interview. Doesn't even need to relate to medicine.
Assuming that it is a school that doesnt do blind interviews or MMI. The later is designed to be more objective and standard and thus more likely to be done blind

Note: Blind meaning the interviewer has not read/seen/know about your application prior.

OP
LuluLovesMe

LuluLovesMe

Membership Revoked
Removed
Nov 5, 2014
Status
Medical Student
This is tricky unless it was time-limited (ie a single semester ) and externally related (such as your own illness or family issue)
If the poor grades are longer term and internally related, should I avoid bringing them up? The drop isn't really precipitous

If you have strong, specific reasons that make it so such as school's mission, certain departmental reputation or institute, specific program, location or other.
I guess being an alumni of their undergrad doesn't count for this does it? They do have a strong bias for accepting their undergrad students into their med school

p0gono

2+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I guess being an alumni of their undergrad doesn't count for this does it? They do have a strong bias for accepting their undergrad students into their med school

They will already know this.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
C'mon colleague...tell us how you REALLY feel about this!!

Leaving it blank is preferable to the copious cliche-ridden, self-serving, egotistical, equine-feces laden drivel that is often added out of an neurotic OCD fear of empty space.

Reactions: SallySue1202

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
C'mon colleague...tell us how you REALLY feel about this!!
I'll try not to hold back next time

If the poor grades are longer term and internally related, should I avoid bringing them up? The drop isn't really precipitous
Are you going to say you are long term, weak student? Let sleeping dogs lie 'lest they are roused and bite you in the arse

They know it, leave it alone

Reactions: Goro

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I wrote about muh diversity