What do dermatologists do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JasonGom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I want to become a dermatologist. Aside from the basic knowledge that dermatologists treat the various diseases of the skin, hair, nails, and etc; i don't know much else.

Also I have a project due tomorrow so it would really help if you guys can help me out.

I just want to know what their basic jobs duties are. What their average day is at their private or public clinic. Also it would help what kinds of surgical procedures they go into.

thanks...:D

Members don't see this ad.

This is a lot more promising than the last post of

"I want to do MOHS. And oh yeah, plastic surgery too."

Go shadow.

You'll never be able to fully understand from simply reading about it.

I also had a basic interest in Dermatology like you have so I contacted a local derm (that my mother goes to frequently due to her auto-immune disease that results in lesions on the arm). We set something up and I shadowed him numerous times over the period of a month.

I learned so much by actually being there with him and he was a great mentor in that he explained everything that he was doing and its purpose. Its such a great field in that Dermatology has a very 'investigative approach' and I was never bored once due to the variety of both patients and conditions.

Be careful fully committing to one discipline if you are still Undergraduate. I also am an undergrad but there is so much more to do still including the MCAT this May, and you really never know what the future holds. Have your interests, but remain open to new opportunities! I shouldn't be talking as I am only a junior but this is the approach I am taking.