What do EM residency directors look for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I can say with a fair degree of confidence that I want to do EM - primarily because I am interested in doing internation aid work and I think an EM career will be the best way to achieve that. So, I am curious as to what sort of things help in regards to getting a good (hopefully in CA) EM slot? What kind of board scores do I need to have?

Thanks, and hope this is the right place to have posted this.

Members don't see this ad.

I can say with a fair degree of confidence that I want to do EM - primarily because I am interested in doing internation aid work and I think an EM career will be the best way to achieve that. So, I am curious as to what sort of things help in regards to getting a good (hopefully in CA) EM slot? What kind of board scores do I need to have?

FMcFP!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody want to play Hangman:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Seriously man - ready the FAQ's...

Read this to avoid any further Fatty McFatty Pants moments.

Attachments

• Selection Criteria for EM.pdf
    97.1 KB · Views: 312
This question has been asked one or two times before. Look at the FAQ. In short, grades and board scores need to be good. Other things are just about as important - letters, how you did on your rotation, your personality, whether or not you have been struck by lightning with resultant superpowers (good ones count, weird ones/bad ones dont help).

Don't forget hair. Hair is key.

Don't forget hair. Hair is key.

I hope they like my fro

omar.jpg

This question has been asked one or two times before. Look at the FAQ. In short, grades and board scores need to be good. Other things are just about as important - letters, how you did on your rotation, your personality, whether or not you have been struck by lightning with resultant superpowers (good ones count, weird ones/bad ones dont help).
It depends on what you mean by "bad ones." I you mean "bad" as in one you wouldn't want like a super foul odor or the ability to shoot rainbow colored snot out of your nose then yeah, that wouldn't be helpful. If you mean "bad" as in powerfully evil then there are programs that would love you. If you could make your enemies explode or command swarms of locusts I know PDs who'd bite. I know one who'd take you just to see the looks on people's faces at ACEP as they fled the locusts.

I was hoping for locusts but just got this frog plague instead. Still pretty cool and can be subtle when I want it to be - leave a cute frog or two out on a table, positioned such that as soon as the victim comes closer to take a look they'll see the awaiting, writhing, grunting, horde outside the window...and know they've been frogged.

A sure sign that you might fit in EM: you don't get pissy when given the fatty :)

"given the fatty".

Now THERE'S a phrase we could have fun with.

Not that any of us here are so immature as to actually do so, of course.

Take care,
Jeff

"given the fatty".

Now THERE'S a phrase we could have fun with.

Not that any of us here are so immature as to actually do so, of course.

Take care,
Jeff

Oh, no. We're clearly ALL mature adults here...

in reading the article posted about selection criteria used by PD's - i happened to notice that the article is from 1999. that seems a little outdated.

maybe i spend too much time on SDN, but these numbers i find surprising:

Results:
Items ranking as most
important (4.0–5.0) in the selection process included:
EM rotation grade (mean 6 SD = 4.79 6 0.50),
interview (4.62 6 0.63),
clinical grades (4.36 6 0.70),
recommendations (4.11 6 0.85).

Moderate emphasis (3.0–4.0) was placed on:
elective done at program director’s institution (3.75 6 1.25),
U.S. Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) step II (3.34 6 0.93),
interest expressed in program director’s institution (3.30 6 1.19),
USMLE step I (3.28 6 0.86),

anyone care to comment?

surebreC, I was just wondering why you say that EM in particular would be a good route to international aid work? I'm interested in both as well, but I feel like any kind of primary care (FP, IM, Peds) would be just as good, if not better. Now if you're talking about going abroad to help in disaster areas, I understand, a little. But I don't know if you meant more along the lines of volunteer work in 3rd world countries and such (makeshift clinics in poor areas, DWB, etc.) - which is what I'm thinking. My interest in EM is rather new so I don't know yet about all the possibilities it can offer, so forgive me if that was a stupid question. :oops:

surebreC, I was just wondering why you say that EM in particular would be a good route to international aid work? I'm interested in both as well, but I feel like any kind of primary care (FP, IM, Peds) would be just as good, if not better. Now if you're talking about going abroad to help in disaster areas, I understand, a little. But I don't know if you meant more along the lines of volunteer work in 3rd world countries and such (makeshift clinics in poor areas, DWB, etc.) - which is what I'm thinking. My interest in EM is rather new so I don't know yet about all the possibilities it can offer, so forgive me if that was a stupid question. :oops:

Well, let me just post what Amory Blaine said.

AmoryBlaine said:
As far as specialties geared only towards overseas work, FP would be above EM by quite a bit. IMHO, if you went to a solid FP program with good Ob/Gyn you would be an all-star at internat'l med.

The problem is that a career in FP is not usually very ammenable to overseas work b/c it is harder to just drop your practice and leave. EM would be a good compromise there.

For me, it is also that I am simply more interested in disaster relief urgent care. When I am in the states, I would prefer to be working in an EM setting as I think its more interesting.