What do I do with my life?!

Started by Rosebud36
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Rosebud36

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

So currently I've been accepted to University of Illinois, St. George University, and University of Glasgow. I have no idea where to go! Some people have said I'm crazy for not picking the school in Europe, or the tropical island, or staying in the states. Can anyone give me their opinion on why I should go to one versus the other? Or if anyone has experiences there could you help me in my choice?

If it helps I'm a 20 y.o. first time applicant from New Jersey who wants to eventually specialize in exotic/zoo medicine. Please post any advice if you can!
 
Hi everyone,

So currently I've been accepted to University of Illinois, St. George University, and University of Glasgow. I have no idea where to go! Some people have said I'm crazy for not picking the school in Europe, or the tropical island, or staying in the states. Can anyone give me their opinion on why I should go to one versus the other? Or if anyone has experiences there could you help me in my choice?

If it helps I'm a 20 y.o. first time applicant from New Jersey who wants to eventually specialize in exotic/zoo medicine. Please post any advice if you can!
Check out the thread in the PreVet Compendium called “Factors When Picking A School” for pros and cons people have said. There’s a google doc that should be on one of the last few pages where it’s all compiled.
But honestly, GO WITH THE CHEAPEST SCHOOL YOU CAN. You’ll thank yourself later. In the thread Anyone choose the more expensive option and don't regret it? you can see some opinions from some people who have already graduated and are repaying. Go cheapest.
 
Check out the thread in the PreVet Compendium called “Factors When Picking A School” for pros and cons people have said. There’s a google doc that should be on one of the last few pages where it’s all compiled.
But honestly, GO WITH THE CHEAPEST SCHOOL YOU CAN. You’ll thank yourself later. In the thread Anyone choose the more expensive option and don't regret it? you can see some opinions from some people who have already graduated and are repaying. Go cheapest.
I'm just conflicted because there isn't a lot of information on Glasgow in those types of threads. Thank you for recommending it! But I just looked through it and it only mentioned Glasgow once in passing. Also the tuition for all of these aren't very far apart, so that's why I'm having such a hard time choosing 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm just conflicted because there isn't a lot of information on Glasgow in those types of threads. Thank you for recommending it! But I just looked through it and it only mentioned Glasgow once in passing. Also the tuition for all of these aren't very far apart, so that's why I'm having such a hard time choosing 🙁
curriculum should also be something you look into. Europe generally has a very different teaching style. They also require something called EMS in which you spend your breaks getting experience with the different animals species. I would really look into those differences when considering Glasgow and tag someone to see if they can post here to help you out with their day to day.
 
I wouldn't go out of the country unless there was no other choice. Those who went to school internationally can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding was that any loans to cover a non-US education would have to be private rather than federal, so you'd lose a lot of protections and flexibility with repayment schedules. Maybe that's changed now that so many of the international schools are AVMA-accredited? I dunno, but I'm starting to feel like a bit of a dinosaur on this forum. My first loan payment was due a month ago, so I guess I'm officially a grown-up now. 😉
 
I wouldn't go out of the country unless there was no other choice. Those who went to school internationally can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding was that any loans to cover a non-US education would have to be private rather than federal, so you'd lose a lot of protections and flexibility with repayment schedules. Maybe that's changed now that so many of the international schools are AVMA-accredited? I dunno, but I'm starting to feel like a bit of a dinosaur on this forum. My first loan payment was due a month ago, so I guess I'm officially a grown-up now. 😉
I know Ross and SGU can get federal loans 🙂 (source: I funded my Ross education with federal loans) I'm not so sure about the European schools but I thought as long as a school is AVMA accredited, it is eligible for federal loans.
 
I know Ross and SGU can get federal loans 🙂 (source: I funded my Ross education with federal loans) I'm not so sure about the European schools but I thought as long as a school is AVMA accredited, it is eligible for federal loans.
All of the schools are AVMA accredited so I thought the same.
 
I wouldn't go out of the country unless there was no other choice. Those who went to school internationally can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding was that any loans to cover a non-US education would have to be private rather than federal, so you'd lose a lot of protections and flexibility with repayment schedules. Maybe that's changed now that so many of the international schools are AVMA-accredited? I dunno, but I'm starting to feel like a bit of a dinosaur on this forum. My first loan payment was due a month ago, so I guess I'm officially a grown-up now. 😉

You can get federal loans for UK/EU AVMA accredited schools.