What do I do...

Started by Leer
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Leer

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently a sophomore. This semester started off really rough, because I found out that it's highly likely I have a genetic disease (which I won't name for anonymity), and this news got me extremely upset. I tried to hang on, until about a month later when I found out I'm in the process of developing another serious life long disease which I haven't gotten professionally diagnosed (however the evidence is 100% there). My health is in shambles, I'm depressed 24/7, and I'm extremely far behind in one of my classes.

This is the semester from hell. Do I have any options here? Is this grounds for a medical leave? I'm just flabbergasted that my record will be potentially destroyed because of this..
 
I'm currently a sophomore. This semester started off really rough, because I found out that it's highly likely I have a genetic disease (which I won't name for anonymity), and this news got me extremely upset. I tried to hang on, until about a month later when I found out I'm in the process of developing another serious life long disease which I haven't gotten professionally diagnosed (however the evidence is 100% there). My health is in shambles, I'm depressed 24/7, and I'm extremely far behind in one of my classes.

This is the semester from hell. Do I have any options here? Is this grounds for a medical leave? I'm just flabbergasted that my record will be potentially destroyed because of this..

I am really sorry to ask but what genetic disease and what life long disease? I really don't think that anyone will be able to guess who you are. Probably will be better able to answer your question if you told us.
 
If you can't handle school because of this..take a semester off. It is definitely a legitimate reason to take time off.
 
Without knowing the details of your condition(s) it's hard to say. If they're as serious as you suggest and would require lengthy treatment and/or hospitalization then you would probably qualify for a medical leave (though it's best to ask your school directly, perhaps via an anonymous phone call).

I don't want to sound gloomy but many medical schools have technical standards, including physical capabilities, that you must satisfy prior to enrolling. Again, I don't know the details of your condition (nor will I pry, it's none of my business) but you should ensure that neither of your conditions will limit your physical capabilities before you commit yourself to med school.