what do i need for Columbia, Cornell, Mt. Sinai and NYU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FluffyPolishUnicorn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am taking MCAT i may and I was wonderig what do i need score-wise to be considered for those NYC schools?

My overall GPA is 3.94 and sGPA 4.0, Ive been volunteering at Cornell NY Presbytrian hospital for some time, I do some leadership program, volunteer at my school as tutor and did some shadowing, also have an Honors class in Orgo 1 and doing research for that class... I will be continuing with my current EC, but what else should ?

Also i think i would need around 35-27 from MCAT, any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Rock the MCAT; don't be afraid to take practice tests throughout your preparation since it will help you identify your weaknesses/strengths early on. Obviously save some for later, but don't take your first practice full-length two weeks before the exam.

As long as you get within range for the MCAT, you seem to have a solid application. Is your research curriculum development or original research? All the NYC schools you've mentioned are research-heavy schools, so they might be looking for research experience. It doesn't have to be anything outrageous (publications, etc), but at least some exposure seems to be prerequisite in the absence of some other meaningful long-term activity. Also, do you have any outside interests that you've been pursuing? Your application, while solidly balanced overall, might fall short because of the lack of that certain something that will set you apart from all the other great stats + basic/good enough ECs. Try to create a compelling narrative through your ECs and personal statement by bringing everything together into a coherent story.

Reactions: 1 user
Rock the MCAT; don't be afraid to take practice tests throughout your preparation since it will help you identify your weaknesses/strengths early on. Obviously save some for later, but don't take your first practice full-length two weeks before the exam.

As long as you get within range for the MCAT, you seem to have a solid application. Is your research curriculum development or original research? All the NYC schools you've mentioned are research-heavy schools, so they might be looking for research experience. It doesn't have to be anything outrageous (publications, etc), but at least some exposure seems to be prerequisite in the absence of some other meaningful long-term activity. Also, do you have any outside interests that you've been pursuing? Your application, while solidly balanced overall, might fall short because of the lack of that certain something that will set you apart from all the other great stats + basic/good enough ECs. Try to create a compelling narrative through your ECs and personal statement by bringing everything together into a coherent story.

Hey thanks for your answer,

I am focusing on surgery really, I am volunteering on post-surgical floor in the Hospital, and trying to get to shadow some surgeries. My main interest is neuroscience and behavioral neuroscience is my major. Outside of school I am a runner, half marathons and all that, and i also volunteer there. I am beginning to piece together my materials and its harder than i thought since i am a private person - sharing what i like and do in my free time isnt what i would choose to do.

Regardless, your answer is very helpful. THANKS!!

For all aim for 35+.

Hi I am taking MCAT i may and I was wonderig what do i need score-wise to be considered for those NYC schools?

My overall GPA is 3.94 and sGPA 4.0, Ive been volunteering at Cornell NY Presbytrian hospital for some time, I do some leadership program, volunteer at my school as tutor and did some shadowing, also have an Honors class in Orgo 1 and doing research for that class... I will be continuing with my current EC, but what else should ?

Also i think i would need around 35-27 from MCAT, any advice?

Reactions: 1 user