What do I need to do before I start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HollyJ

Realtors are evil
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anything that you were glad that you did (or wish you had done) before you started med school? Aside from the mandatory rest and relaxation, did you do anything to prepare? Any equipment or anything I need to buy?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't underestimate the importance of rest and relaxation. Have fun, see your spouse/SO if applicable, do something good for yourself -- start an exercise routine or something equally stress-relieving, so that it's in place once you get overwhelmed. I don't recommend anything else besides making sure you're all moved in and settled in your new place. Seriously, you'll be in medical school for the next 4 years, and the medical field for the rest of our life. There's no reason to rush it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I am DEFINITELY not going to study. Honestly, I think it would be a big old waste of time. I'm thinking more along the lines of logistics.

Do as much of nothing as possible.

Before i started med school, I did a couple of things
Firstly, i spent some time in some clinics, hospitals etc, even saw and assisted in my first autopsy before i was a med student
The whole point of it was to see if i was cut out to be a med student though for me it was more of a calling, so , just to confirm things
after that, some time with community service work, working with ppl, talking to them etc
then, i spoke to some people who knew their way around med school from the school i was going to, so that i knew what kind of environment i was going to expect, uni life n such, books to get, tools to buy...i think it's best to only get books when u get in, cos only then, you'll know which one you'll really need to use. some people go with the recommended text, tat's fine, but if you are a picture person and that book is text heavy, you won;t like reading it
tools, i don't think you need any except if your school starts clinicals fast, then i would suggest to get a pentorch, tendon hammer, stethoscope, clip board,tat's all
ok, and after all these things, i went backpacking around my country for about a month..enjoyed myself...looked at life in a different wat..because alot of students will tell you that once school starts..there's hardly any room for hols..
tat's all..hope it helps

About this not studying thing.. I majored in Chemistry and really don't have much in the way of a Bio background.. Would it not help at all to go over genetics, cell bio and micro before school starts?

Somehow I don't think anyone's gonna care how fast I can synthesize an asymmetric chiral ligand if I can't even find a cell on the map..

heh, I've never taken an anatomy class in my life, I guess I should buy a book and look over it before I start med school in the fall :)

So here's my question, what's a good, and cheap gross anatomy review book? One that would also help me when it's time for the boards

IMO: any time you guys would spend "studying" between now & the start of med school would be wasted, regardless of what your major was.

If you have good enough grades & MCAT to get into med school, you are definitely capable of succeeding.

I moved to the city I was going to school in in May. I then took a little job doing typing 4 hrs a day during the afternoon for about 5 weeks. This gave me a reason to get out of my apartment and venture downtown and it gave me money to spend. I then spent the rest of my time going to the pool, shopping, being outside, etc. I did also take a 4-5 day trip to chicago. When I started school, I didn't feel burnt out until toward the end of the year and I'd say that lounging around all summer helped me.

Now, I'm a 2nd year and it's my last day of spring break. I haven't been able to enjoy myself at all because I just dread going back. I'm such a freaking crybaby, but hey, that's life. I don't think I got a chance to relax enough over my last summer break, because I've been pretty unmotivated all year. I'm just so burnt out. I'm even taking my boards early so that I can have a decent break this summer. Don't let this happen to you! :laugh:

About gross anatomy books to use, firstly, does your university have dissection as part of the anatomy classes? Or does it follow the new school ie.models etc like mine?

Ditto to what everyone else said about relaxing. Those of you who are wondering what material you should review before starting: No review or studying is needed. Med school starts with the assumption that all students know nothing. Everything is taught. You learn it as you go.

"But I don't remember my cell bio!"
Well, duh, that's what MS-I Histology/Cell Bio class is for.

"But I don't know genetics!"
Well, duh, that's what MS-I Biochemistry class is for.

"But I don't know any anatomy!"
Why do you think they teach something called Anatomy in med school?

"But I've forgotten my undergrad microbiology!"
Hellooooooooo... That's what MS-I Microbiology class is for.

Get my point? You will see it all again and you will need to learn it all again in a new context. Going over it now will not help your grades in med school or make your life easier. It would just waste precious break time. I know that is probably pretty hard to believe, so you are all going to go and try to study your butts off for a week before you give up this summer. But don't forget I told you so. :p